The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Defer - Feature Request

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Defer - Feature Request

Postby jarrod » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:48 am

I have a couple of features related to deferral I'd love to see in CC.

* User configurable default "specific date/time". The default appears to be 8am the next day. However, I have personal working habit of dealing with the mundane emails on the train home. So I'd love to be able to set the default to 18:00 on the current working day.

* Alternatively can you make it so that the specific date/time is remembered between dialog pop-ups. So that if I set it once when I do my first deferral for the day it stays there throughout the Outlook/CC session. And everytime I go in for the rest of the day it's remembered.

* The last request for deferral is to be able to tie it into auto assignment rules. I want to make mailing lists that arrive throughout the day disappear until that 18:00 time slot. Setting them low priority helps, but making them disappear really improves my ability to focus on the stuff that should be working on right now.

Jarrod
jarrod

Postby deva » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:20 am

Jarrod,

Defer as an auto-assign option is something I don't think we've ever thought about before. Now you've got me thinking about the possibility of putting a preemptive delay on seeing email from certain people!
deva

Postby jarrod » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:24 am

deva wrote:Now you've got me thinking about the possibility of putting a preemptive delay on seeing email from certain people!

When I originally saw this I thought no I was only interested in deferring mailing lists, but being able to automatically defer the "social" email to the end of the day is a good idea as well.

Jarrod
jarrod

Postby brad » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:40 pm

Jarrod:

* User configurable default "specific date/time". The default appears to be 8am the next day. However, I have personal working habit of dealing with the mundane emails on the train home. So I'd love to be able to set the default to 18:00 on the current working day.

I believe this time is read from the Tasks Reminder time setting at Tools > Options in native Outlook.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby rcollings » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:27 pm

deva wrote:Defer as an auto-assign option is something I don't think we've ever thought about before. Now you've got me thinking about the possibility of putting a preemptive delay on seeing email from certain people!
This sort of ties in with the idea I put forward previously of being able to hide (or i guess, defer) lower priority material in the inbox in a more general way.

As each day varies for me, a time based approach wouldn't work.

I would very much like to see a mechanism for saying to CC, only show me stuff of priority 'x' and above so that I can choose when to see the lower priority emails.

This would be one of my highest priority feature requests.

As I move towards having rules which make sure all the newsletters, etc get set to a low priority, things are improving. But it would really help me focus on my core tasks if during the day, I just didn't see them at all. But to then have the option of switching them back into view for a 15 min burst of checking to see whether there is anything useful or interesting that I want to follow up in more detail.
Richard
London, UK
CC V6.0.1+ Outlook 2010 + Windows 7 + POP3
rcollings

Postby brad » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:52 pm

Richard:

You should be able to create a filtered view using native Outlook to only show messages above a certain thread score. Off the top of my head:
1. Go to View > Current View > Define Views
2. Copy the view closest to what you want to start with.
3. Click Filter.
4. Click the Advanced tab.
5. Select Field ClearContext > CC-ThreadScore
6. Set Condition is less than
7. Set value = -16
8. Click Add to List
9. Exit the view dialog and click Apply view.

In step 5 you may need to add the ClearContext Form by selecting Forms...

This shows all messages red, blue and green. See Automatic Formatting conditions in the view to determine other score thresholds (CC-HighPriority, etc.).

Switch between views via Views > Current View

I hope this helps.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby brad » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:01 pm

Come to think of it, Jarrod, does score filtering the view solve your Defer request as well?
Brad Meador
brad

Postby rcollings » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:37 pm

brad wrote:You should be able to create a filtered view using native Outlook to only show messages above a certain thread score.
That has worked brilliantly. I hadn't actually realised that ClearContext views were just pre-cooked standard Outlook views (being new to Outlook)
In step 5 you may need to add the ClearContext Form by selecting Forms...

Didn't understand this bit but I didn't seem to need to do it (Outlook 2002)

Later: oh wow! I now have an 'empty' inbox. I have set up rules to process all my newsletter stuff that was coming in and getting prioritised at normal and above. and filed all of these away. Plus manually filed the remaining emails with normal and above priorities. So the only mail that I have in my inbox has a priority of Low or Very low and with this new view, I can hide that.

This is going to be so useful. It will probably save me an hour a day - simply because I now won't be distracted by all those interesting newsletters, etc that flood into my Inbox. Briiliant!
Richard
London, UK
CC V6.0.1+ Outlook 2010 + Windows 7 + POP3
rcollings

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support