The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Impact of contact prioritisation of priority scoring

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Impact of contact prioritisation of priority scoring

Postby rcollings » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:59 am

I am just trying to get my head round how this works.

It seems to me that a given email address will fall into one of five categories. In each case, I would like to understand how priority is set - I have put my understanding but can you confirm.

1. This is the first email from this address Presumably scored on the basis of the other scoring criteria (eg thread priority, etc), At the moment, there is no way (other than using the Outlook Rule Addon) for specifying absolutely the priority of emails falling into this category?

2. Emails exist from this address but no contact has been created If there are a large number of emails from this address already, then a higher priority will be calculated (based on setting of the first slider in the Scoring dialog)?

3. Emails exist from this address and a contact has been created by the Analyze Contacts function Not sure what the difference is between this and the previous option. Scoring specified in the Contact record influences final score for an email which is also determined by the other factors?

4. Contact has been created manually or by the Analyze Contacts function and the priority for the Contact has been set manually Does the priority set for the contact determine the priority of emails to/from this Contact absolutely; or is it still influenced by the other factors in the scoring process (eg thread participation)?

5. Contacts email address is specified as part of an Auto Assign Rule Priority of the email is determined absolutely by the priorit of the rule (provided email meets the other criteria in the rule and provided the rule does not specify 'Auto' for the priority.

And manual priorities set for threads override all the above except the last?

I also don't understand the influence on the scoring of 'Additional Email Aliases' and 'Organisation Domains'. Are these explained anywhere. eg would it make sense to put the domains of my main clients into the 'Organization Domains' box.

Sorry for the long question and apologies if these questions have been answered elsewhere.

Thanks.
Richard
London, UK
CC V6.0.1+ Outlook 2010 + Windows 7 + POP3
rcollings

Postby brad » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:43 pm

Have you read our whitepaper?

#1 and #2 are the same thing - if the contact doesn't exist in Outlook IMS doesn't know about that sender and consequently a low score is given to the contact component of the composite score.

#3 and #4 are the same thing - whether the score was set manually or via Analyze contacts, IMS uses that setting to determine the contribution of contact score to the overall composite score of the thread.

# 5 and this:
And manual priorities set for threads override all the above except the last?

are the same thing - using AutoAssign to assign a priority (by contact or any other factor) is the same as setting a manual priority. It is an override of the composite score set by the IMS scoring algorithm and forces messages to appear with the priority you set rather than using the composite score determined by factors such as contact priority, thread directness, participation, etc..

I also don't understand the influence on the scoring of 'Additional Email Aliases' and 'Organisation Domains'. Are these explained anywhere. eg would it make sense to put the domains of my main clients into the 'Organization Domains' box.

Additional email aliases are used to ensure that IMS recognizes that messages sent to you at addresses other than the ones set up in Outlook belong to you so that they can be scored accordingly. For example, say you use a forwarding email address (i.e. myname@alumni.myschool.edu) to receive mail. If that message appears in Outlook and IMS doesn't recognize that myname@alumni.myschool.edu belongs to you, the message directness score will be 0. When you add this email address to your email aliases, IMS will be able to tell that this message has been sent to you and adjust the directness score accordingly.

The Organizational Domains helps bump up priority for messages received from addresses that do not exist in your address book. If the domain is on your list, IMS will recognize this and bump up the contact priority score higher than if the message came from a non-recognized domain. Yes, you should put your client and company domains in there.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby rcollings » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:41 am

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I had read the White Paper but forgotten about it. Before making the above post, I had reread the User Guide - it might be worth putting a link to the White Paper into the User Guide at varous points who those (like me) who want more detail.

The key thing that I hadn't understood from reading the User Guide was the fact that 'Known Address' scoring depends on the Contact having been created in Contacts Address Book. I had wondered about it (hence the posting) but felt it wasn't clear. I may be alone in this respect but it might be something you want to clarify.

Incidentally, when does the setting of the 'Known contacts' slider get applied - during the Contact Analysis phase (ie it affects the setting of the Contact priority); or (as I suspect), during the scoring of individual emails (ie: it determines the weight given to the priority that has been set for a given Contact).

Oh - and another question - can the scoring process for an individual email, reduce the score below that has been set for a Contact? ie: if I set a Contact's priority to High, will all emails from that Contact have a score of High or above; or could it drop to Normal.

And finally:

The Organizational Domains helps bump up priority for messages received from addresses that do not exist in your address book. If the domain is on your list, IMS will recognize this and bump up the contact priority score higher than if the message came from a non-recognized domain. Yes, you should put your client and company domains in there.

This sort of solves the problem that I posted about previously about my catch all rule for my client domains overriding manually set priorities on threads. I now have these set to set a priority of 'Auto' to avoid the problem (but they still set a default topic). If I also put the client domain name in here, then all emails from this domain will get a priority boost as well from the auto scoring process. Can you say what the extent of that boost is?

Thanks
Richard
London, UK
CC V6.0.1+ Outlook 2010 + Windows 7 + POP3
rcollings

Postby brad » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:49 am

Contact Priority does not equal Email Priority. They are two different scores and processes.

Incidentally, when does the setting of the 'Known contacts' slider get applied - during the Contact Analysis phase (ie it affects the setting of the Contact priority); or (as I suspect), during the scoring of individual emails (ie: it determines the weight given to the priority that has been set for a given Contact).

You are correct, it is the latter. The prioritization sliders only impact the email prioritization algorithm. It affects email message scores but has no impact on the contact prioritization process that runs at setup.

Oh - and another question - can the scoring process for an individual email, reduce the score below that has been set for a Contact? ie: if I set a Contact's priority to High, will all emails from that Contact have a score of High or above; or could it drop to Normal.

Yes, contact priority is NOT an override - it is one component of the composite email prioritization score and it is possible that, but adjusting the sliders, you can see an email priority assigned in the Inbox that is different than the contact priority assigned to the sender.

If I also put the client domain name in here, then all emails from this domain will get a priority boost as well from the auto scoring process. Can you say what the extent of that boost is?

This boost is impacted by the Known Contacts slider. If you aren't seeing the results you desire, try adjusting the Known Contacts slider.
Brad Meador
brad

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support