The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Feature Requests and other notes

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Feature Requests and other notes

Postby thatdamngoood » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:00 pm

Hi,
Firstly, some feedback: I have been using Clear Context for a while and absolutely can't live without it now. The product improvements I have seen over the last year have also been quite remarkable and for all this - Ku Dos to you guys!

Now, I have been making some observations on what I would like to see and/or what I would like to see better. Ineterested to hear what others think about these:

(1) On "send", copy emails to "Sent Items", as well as the "Topic" folder
I am asking for this as I'd like to be able to see all of my "sent" emails in just the one place.
This request for some (say) clients may overtime change from 'prospect' to 'current' and hence a possible need to see all emails sent to them at once.
(2) I love the "related view" at the bottom of email messages. What I would like to see is for this "Related View" to work across archives i.e. show details (received/start, title and location) of related messages even if theya re lying in archive folders.
(3) Dashboard view -
(a) Ability to use Clear Context (and other) Outlook views in the message pane (i.e. group by category, priority etc)
(b) Moving "Status" and/or "Appointments" to a horizontal line along the bottom . This should also provide for more real estate to implement 3a.
(c)"New" email created from a Dashboard view to automatically take the current topic
(4) Attachments on Tasks & Appointments (including Follow Up tasks) should be the actual message sent and NOT a message ready to be sent (as is the current behaviour).
(5) Ability to see the parameters/conditions set for a "Follow Up" task
(6) As an extension of "Follow Up", an ability to insert items (such as: the last message received ina conversation thread) back in Inbox when a certain email is responded to (or the "Follow Up" condition is met)
(7) Ability to "Auto-file" messages belonging to a certain - topic or conversation thread
(8) "Auto-Defer" delivery of messages belonging to a certain - topic or conversation thread (an extension of this request would be to have this kicking in at a certain time of the day).

--------------
Thanks for considering these suggestions and once again, keep up the good work.

Best Regards,
Nitin Malhotra
thatdamngoood

Postby brad » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:32 am

Nitin:

Thanks as always for the detailed feedback. I have added your requests to our list to consider for future release cycles.

On (1); could you use a Search Folder to accomplish this rather than copying the emails? this would help keep the mail file size down.

On (3); many people have requested additional functionality in the messages view and I anticipate making changes to the way this works in a near term release.

On (4); this is a bigger technical hurdle than you might expect. In the near term, however, you can use the RelatedView to pull up the actual message.

On (5); can you please clarify what parameters/conditions you want to set?

On (7); is this something that can be accomplished by AutoAssign and/or using the File to Topic feature of Unsubscribe?

Thanks!
Brad Meador
brad

Postby thatdamngoood » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:35 pm

Brad,

Thanks for considering the suggestions and I'd be looking forward to seeing some of them in the near future.

Some points:
(1) Your point taken about mail size, but I "file" all of emails to an offline pst folder anyway. Additionally, as a rule, every 3 months (or so) I archive these emails (to a different psteach time - so none of my psts are huge).
Your suggestion on "Search folders" has merits, although that doesn't work across "Archives" either. I honestly believe there's something better out there which hasn't been found yet on this - and see no one better than yourselves to find it.

(5) The suggestion here is for me to be able to see what parameters I have set for a particular "Follow Up" task, Such as: Cancel task when response received from "x" in "y" days. I see this as ultra-important as some emails could over time generate multiple "Follow Ups" to be completed by different staff in different timeframes and which such task tags to which contact can be hard to memorize.

Your thoughts?
Perhaps an extension of "Related View" to have (say) have pop-ups for "Reply Followup Scheduled" that would contain these details" ?

(7) That's a fair suggestion again, however, I have my concerns over "AutoAssign" - I don't see it working effectively a lot of the times. Guess it's best if we took this over a support request?
Additionally, though, a possible extension of "AutoAssign" would be an ability for me to create "AutoAssign" rules from inside an email so it pick-up the message, sender etc automatically and hence reducing the time taken to set these.

and lastly, a Happy New Year to you and your team.
I'm certain this would be another glorious year in CC's diary.

---------

Best Regards,
Nitin Malhotra
thatdamngoood

Postby brad » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:52 am

Thanks for the additional detail.

That's a fair suggestion again, however, I have my concerns over "AutoAssign" - I don't see it working effectively a lot of the times. Guess it's best if we took this over a support request?

Yes, AutoAssign should be very reliable. One thing to note; check "Overwrite existing Topic" on your rules to ensure that the Topic is assigned to the thread regardless of any previous Topic assignments made to the thread.

Additionally, though, a possible extension of "AutoAssign" would be an ability for me to create "AutoAssign" rules from inside an email so it pick-up the message, sender etc automatically and hence reducing the time taken to set these.

Isn't this what ClearContext > Create AutoAssign Rule from Message does? Also, in 2007, there is an AutoAssign button on the ribbon in open messages.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby thatdamngoood » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:00 pm

Dear Brad,

A quick thought on (5) again..
"Details" column in "IMS Related View" (at the bottom of open emails, tasks, appointments etc) could be used to achieve this.

here is what I am thinking...
Time: 08/01/08 1:31 PM
Activity: Reply FollowUp Scheduled
Details: Follow up 09/01/08 2 PM; Response From: x@y.com, z@n.com; Attribute: "Do not cancel task".

Or perhaps..
Details: Double click to see FollowUp attributes

(which then brings up a "pop up" grey box with these details)

Over to you for the rest.

----------------

Regards,
Nitin Malhotra
thatdamngoood

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support