The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Archive Sent Messages in Outlook

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Archive Sent Messages in Outlook

Postby brad » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:50 am

In our 2005 Email Usage Survey, a third of respondents said they file/categorize sent mail. I don't know which is worse; that 67% of respondents have given up on organizing half of their email or that 33% waste time doing so.

ClearContext Inbox Manager takes the burden of organizing and archiving sent mail off of the user. For all sent messages with Topics assigned to them, ClearContext will automatically move the message from the Outlook Sent Mail folder to the associated Topic Folder. This keeps sent and received messages with the same Topic in the same place for easy reference.

To enable and use this option, check the box next to Save Sent Messages on the ClearContext Preferences menu (Tools > Options > ClearContext > Preferences). If you are replying to a message that already has a Topic assigned to it, the Topic will automatically be assigned to the outgoing message and it will be stored in the appropriate Topic Folder. If you are sending a new message or replying to one that has not been assigned a Topic yet, select a Topic from the ClearContext Message toolbar before sending. Voila! Your sent mail is instantly organized saving you both time and frustration.

For more detail on managing the inbox via ClearContext's automated filing capability, see our User Guide.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby gedaso » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:48 am

I think I understand the feature you've descibed, but I was wondering if it can be used to help me in my situation:

I have a bucketload of emails in my Inbox and Sent Items which I'd like to categorise by Topic. Ideally I would like to go through and assign the topic to a single email for a given conversation and ClearContext would then autoassign the same topic to all related emails. At the moment, it seems ClearContext can sort of do this, but only on emails in my Inbox - not my Sent Items folder as well.

Can I somehow pick a single email from a conversation (not necessarily the first one) and assign a topic, and then get ClearContext to find all other emails in the same thread but looking in both my Inbox and Sent Items folder ?

thanks
Geoff
gedaso

Retroactive Sent Message Filing

Postby brad » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:58 am

Geoff -

Unfortunately, there is no way to retroactively file sent messages by Topic. Moving forward and with sent message filing turned on, if you assign topics to outgoing email threads messages in those threads will be filed in the ClearContext Topics folder. However, we do not currently have a utility that scans the sent message folder for items in a thread and files them.

Thanks for you question and please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Brad Meador
brad

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support