The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

You made changes to another copy of this item

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

You made changes to another copy of this item

Postby smanning » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:15 pm

I am running Outlook 2007 beta 2 and CC 2.0.6 and love both packages. I have two problems that may be related to Outlook 2007, but I want to ask.

If I have an email that I responded to and I would like to assign a topic, the “related viewâ€￾ tool bar is grayed out and will not allow me to assign a topic or file the email away. I get this issue when the email shows the line “You made changes to another copy of this item. This is the most recent version . Clear here to see the other versionsâ€￾

Also when I go into the “Sentâ€￾ mailbox and select a “Topicâ€￾ from the dropdown and then press the “File Topicâ€￾ button, the dropdown goes blank and nothing happens. I have to press the “File msgâ€￾ button for it to work.

Please let me know if I am doing something wrong

Thanks
Scott
Scott Manning
smanning

Postby brad » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:58 pm

Scott:

It sounds like another process is conflicting with ClearContext scoring. This could be a second installation of ClearContext on another machine, synchronization with a PDA, or another add-in in Outlook. For instructions on mitigating this issue, please see our FAQ:

http://www.clearcontext.com/faq.html#conflicts

For your sent mail question... File Topic works as follows. Click on a message with a Topic assigned, click file Topic, and all messages in that folder with the current Topic assigned will be moved to the appropriate Topic folder. It sounds like you are not commiting the Topic assignment to the message prior to pressing File Topic. If assigning the topic via the keyboard, make sure you hit enter to commit it to the message. Also note that if this is a new installation, sent messages sent before ClearContext was installed may not have CC thread information associated with them. If that's the case, you will not be able to assign a Topic to the message.

Please let me know if this helps with your issues.
Brad Meador
brad

Thanks

Postby smanning » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:40 pm

I have changed the delay and will see if the resolves the message.

I also noticed that I was getting a large number of sync errors. I cleared out the sync errors and the message has disappeared from the original emails, but the "relatedview" toolbar is still grayed out.

Also when I open a message up and assign the topic from the dropdown and close out the email, the topic does not seem to be saved. I have tried opening the message and assigning the topic and pressing the save icon and then closing out the email, but not with any luck.

Thanks
Scott
Scott Manning
smanning

Postby brad » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:28 pm

Scott:

If you are running ClearContext on two machines at the same time hitting the same Exchange mail file, you are likely to see all kinds of strange behavior. It is recommended that you only have Outlook open with ClearContext installed on one machine at a time. For more detail on the issues behind this, see the following post:

http://www.clearcontext.com/faq.html#tr ... autoassign

The behavior you describe sounds like the direct result of this issue. Your thread ids are likely being corrupted because you have CC installed on two machines. When CC receives a new message, we process the message, assigning a thread id, score, etc.. This thread id is stored in a hidden table in Outlook and is associated with given subject name. When you have CC installed and running on two machines at the same time, it's possible that the same thread ID could be assigned to two different subjects. So, when you assign a topic to a message, CC assigns it to the wrong thread and therefore the assignment doesn't appear to stick. Workarounds are discussed in detail in the link above, but our best advice at this time is to avoid running CC on two machines simultaneously and synchronize with the server often - particularly on startup and shutdown of Outlook.

Hopefully this all makes sense - please let me know if I can provide additional detail.
Brad Meador
brad

grayed out toolbar

Postby jdkircpa » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:06 am

I am having the same issue with the grayed out toolbar. I do not have ClearContext installed on any other machines. I have the delay processing control set to maximum.

Just curious, can the scoring be turned off without disabling the other ClearContext features?
jdkircpa

Postby brad » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:15 am

Scoring is required for all ClearContext functions and cannot be disabled.

FYI - we hope to implement an additional workaround in our 3.0 product that should find and eliminate conflicts. More details on this when we have the fix in place.
Brad Meador
brad

Having this problem with Outlook 2003

Postby phelpsie83 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:01 pm

I've read this thread and made changes to the settings mentioned. What other likely causes are out there for this problem? We are running a BlackBerry server and Exchange 2003.
phelpsie83

Postby brad » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:58 pm

These conflicts are likely due to interaction with the Blackberry Enterprise Server. See detail here.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby phelpsie83 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:33 pm

Any thoughts on changes that can be made on the BB server side? I've tried a number of settings on the processing delay scoring option and nothing seems to work.
phelpsie83

Postby ClearContext Support » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:43 pm

Make sure that you are running all of the latest patches on the BES; it has been rumored for some time that RIM was going to resolve the issue. Also, is there a way to change the BES account so that it accesses your Exchange account directly online rather than in cached exchange mode? This coupled with a longish IMS delay might resolve the issue.
ClearContext Support

Postby phelpsie83 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:43 pm

Do you have any idea which version of BES fixes this issue? Is there a number for your support team that someone in my IT department can call to discuss how to configure BES/Exchange?
phelpsie83

Postby ClearContext Support » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:36 pm

I can't say for certain that the issue has been fixed by a BES release; only that I was told it would be some time ago. All I can suggest is that updating to the latest release and installing all patches may have an impact. Unfortunately, we don't have a resource available who can help with BES/Exchange configuration.
ClearContext Support

Postby phelpsie83 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:57 pm

I would think a lot of your customers are also using a BES. Can you do a little more research into what the exact fix is and the configuration we should have in place (Outlook, Exchange, BlackBerry, ClearContext)?
phelpsie83

Postby ClearContext Support » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:00 pm

I'm sorry if I haven't been clear. There is no known exact fix for this issue. As I explained in the linked forum post, until RIM changes the architecture of their software so that it stops making changes to messages without communicating them back to the Exchange server in a timely fashion, our only choice is to mitigate the issue as best we can. We have done so by:

1. Allowing the IMS Processing Delay to adjust the timing on the scoring of messages.
2. Monitoring the conflicts folder and re-scoring messages if they become unscored due to this issue.

We are confident that with these changes in place, the problem is mitigated and the only impact is that the conflicts folder should be emptied on a regular basis.

To clarify, are you noticing any functionality issues (i.e. you can't assign a Topic or create a Task) or is the issue more "behind the scenes" (i.e. your conflicts folder is growing too large, but your daily workflow is not impacted)? It is my expectation that you are seeing the latter and that the conflicts, while not desired, have no material impact on your ability to process your mail. Is this the case?

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions on this issue and please let me know how I can provide additional assistance.
ClearContext Support

Re: You made changes to another copy of this item

Postby harpreetsingh » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:59 am

Is there any way to overcome the conflict system.sometime it waste my time. ? and my outlook contact is not able to sync into it.? Help me?
Something is better then nothing!
Portable dvd players
Pet insurance
harpreetsingh

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support