The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Autoassign not working when sent to a distribution list

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Autoassign not working when sent to a distribution list

Postby jboladian » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:27 pm

Hi,

I want to enable autoassign to assign a topic to all messages sent to a distribution list in my company, not necessarily to any one user. In our company a distribution list for people interested in childrens toys would be called "pplwholuvtoys@abc.com" and in the address book it's listed as "People Who Love Toys" with say 100 recipients. I am a recipient in this distribution list.

Autoassign doesn't seem to be working in this scenario - the topics aren't assigned. If i click on the "Apply Rules to Inbox" to run immediately it still fails.

To see if there would be any difference i downloaded the BETA Rules addin and used Outlook's Rule system to filter the recipient address, then process the messages using CC to assign the topic. This works better but it still misses the messages.

I could use Outlook Rules to just move them to another folder but I prefer to use CC to do it as occasionally i get mails from people i want to elevate the priority and the messages all get scored when processed. This is not a critical error but is adding to the amount of work i need to do instead of reducing it, which is the main reason i want to use CC.

Thanks/John

Vista SP1
OL2007 Exchange Mode
Processing corporate email
Using about 10 Outlook Rules for automatic processing
jboladian

Postby ClearContext Support » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:57 am

John:

Thanks for the detailed information. This is a known limitation that we plan to resolve in a future release of the software. Currently, however, IMS does not support AutoAssigning by distribution list.
ClearContext Support

Outlook Rules Extension

Postby jboladian » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:52 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

So if i use Outlook's native rule processing to assess whether a message has been sent to a Distribution List, then issue a custom action to have CC classify the message it should work?
This is quite hit and miss, sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. Any suggestions how i can improve it's accuracy?

ClearContext Support wrote:John:

Thanks for the detailed information. This is a known limitation that we plan to resolve in a future release of the software. Currently, however, IMS does not support AutoAssigning by distribution list.
jboladian

Postby ClearContext Support » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:54 pm

I haven't tried it, but it should work. When you create the rule, make sure that you check "overwrite existing topic" - that may have an impact on accuracy.
ClearContext Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support