The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

IMAP get-around?

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

IMAP get-around?

Postby busterh » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:39 pm

HI.

I use both a POP3 PST and an IMAP structure for personal mail. I was wondering if I could use a rule and combine all inbox to one inbox and use the product on that Inbox?

Would it have to be the POP3 PST?

Thanks,

Jeff
busterh

Postby brad » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:58 pm

Jeff:

In theory, if you can get your IMAP mail into a Personal Folders Inbox, ClearContext can work it's magic on it there. A note of caution; we don't perform any formal testing on scenarios such as this and IMAP is not supported, so you may run into some unexpected errors.

All that said, I believe you could set up a rule to either move mail from IMAP to your local PST and/or deliver mail from IMAP to the PST and the prodgram should work. I do suggest that you adjust the scoring delay slider at ClearContext > Options > Scoring towards more delay to give any IMAP messages that are moved into your Inbox a chance to be processed by Outlook prior to ClearContext scoring them.

Thanks for your interest and please let me know how it works out for you.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby busterh » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:02 pm

Hi Brad:

Sounds good.

The plan that I have is to first let all processing occur in the IMAP folder and then move them to the PST file.

One question that I do have....

Can I create a new PST file so that I can keep the originals pristine in the event of this not working?

Jeff
busterh

Postby brad » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:37 pm

You can create a new PST. However, CC is only going to score/process your default Inbox - the Inbox set to deliver new mail to. Go to Tools > E-Mail Accounts and open your account list - at teh bottom of that list there should be a field that says "deliver new mail to" the mailbox listed in that field is the Inbox that CC will prioritize.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby sergeb » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:41 pm

Brad,

This is a nice idea although it wouldn't really work (not for me anyway).

If I were to move the IMAP account content to my other POP3 PST, it would delete them on the server for it's IMAP.

That ruins the whole idea of using IMAP protocol - to keep the local and server email data/folders in sync.

If I wouldn't need that I'd use the POP3 protocol and wouldn't have issues with CC in the first place :)

I still hope you'd support IMAP eventually. I've been your happy customer for years and now is really a first time I need to manage both Exchange and IMAP accounts on one machine... It's a pity I can't use the great CC features on my IMAP account - I've gotten used to them so much over the years. It's like going back into the cave century without it...
---
Thank you,
Serge Baranovsky
sergeb

Postby Scott - CC Support » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:39 pm

Thanks for the feedback. There are a number of technical limitations that make it difficult to implement IMAP support. We would still like to build this functionality into the product, but we don't anticipate it making into a near term release.
Scott - CC Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support