The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Feature Request : Use follow up flags to create a tast

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Feature Request : Use follow up flags to create a tast

Postby gavinfischer » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:08 pm

Flags of different colors can be set on emails in the inbox using rules.

I would like to use those flags to generate tasks. I set some flags to pop up when I get email from certain people (boss, wife, etc...) and use them on other emails to indicate to myself "REALLY, you have to deal with this above the other stuff".

Sort of a second order triage.

I would like it if when a red flag (to pick a color) is set that a tast is generated.

Apologies if this is already possible, but I can't figure it out.

Oh yeah, I need to keep my topic assignment etc...

Posted here and not in v2 beta forum as I think there is no way this makes v2.

Gavin
gavinfischer

Flag Management

Postby brad » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:30 pm

Gavin:

I think v2 kind of already does this. Native Outlook gives you the ability to assign reminders to flagged messages, much like tasks. In the ActionView we treat flagged inbox items like tasks - you can see them and filter by them in your task list. Does this solve your problem, or are you looking for something different?

Thanks!
Brad Meador
brad

...sort of

Postby gavinfischer » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:57 pm

Yes, sort of

I have, and this is your fault, become totally enamored of the task list with v2. The ability to set tasks to follow up on emails is something that I really don't know how I lived without before. The fact they go away when people reply is pretty much awesome. The related view so that I see the appointments, tasks, etc... all together...Rules. Before v2 I didn't use tasks AT ALL, becuase it was out of sight and I had to click on things and type stuff in order to get stuff to show up there.

Thus, I now have the task list always showing on a second monitor. To see it, I actually use a Konfabulatore (now YahooWidget) widget called Dayplanner, which shows me my appointments and my tasks. Between them, as I use "assign task" on everything I receive of send, I have everything I need to do up all the time in front of me.

I could, I know, put actionview up on the second monitor instead, but the UI still bothers me and I don't like the way it works. I want it to work, but it just isn't smooth enough yet. All the info is there, but I can't at a very quick glance, figure out what I need to do.

I guess the way to fix this is to continue the work on the action view UI so that it just looks better. The abilities are there, I agree, but it just doesn't work for me yet.

Also - the ability to assign the reminders is an extra step I have to do. I want to, at one click where I click on the flag, have it show up in the task list as a to-do. SO - I know I can get the reminders, but I have to do extra clicks to get them, and I am pretty much a lazy sod when it comes right down to it.

Gavin
gavinfischer

Postby brad » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:35 pm

I'm glad we've had a positive impact on your productivity!

We have heard loud and clear about the ActionView UI and we are working on it. I can't promise many changes will make the initial v2 release, but some are in the works and will make it into the product as soon as we can get them there.

Given this statement:

Also - the ability to assign the reminders is an extra step I have to do. I want to, at one click where I click on the flag, have it show up in the task list as a to-do. SO - I know I can get the reminders, but I have to do extra clicks to get them, and I am pretty much a lazy sod when it comes right down to it.

I think you will be very interested in Office 12. See this weblog post from the Office 12 team.
Brad Meador
brad

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support