The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Clearcontext Pro trial crashes Outlook 2007 during install

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Clearcontext Pro trial crashes Outlook 2007 during install

Postby ilestlouis » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:05 am

I am installing (or attempting to) ClearContext 4.5.1 Pro trial on Outlook 2007 under Vista Business SP1.

I have disabled all add-ins, and closed all psts other than the main inbox. Unfortunately, each time I run the install, clearcontext crashes outlook and cannot proceed.

Firstly, each time outlook is opened, there is a window stating that outlook is not connected to exchange, do I want to run? Yet, outlook is connected to exchange after 1-2 seconds more (it appears that this check is done prior to the connection establishing each time). There is no way around this (ie, a 'no' stops the install). Then, in step 1 of 3 of the install, near the middle to end of the analyzing of contacts, outlook crashes and vista restarts outlook and all starts all over again.

Tried 30 times or so, with different add-in's enabled or not enabled, psts closed, also running as administrator (but outlook disables the add-in and the installation never occurs, and even when enabled when outlook opens the next time as adminstrator, add-in is still disabled).

Id like to try clearcontext - any advice?
ilestlouis

Re: Clearcontext Pro trial crashes Outlook 2007 during install

Postby Scott - CC Support » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:14 am

I'm sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble getting started.

The behavior you describe sounds exactly like a conflict with some add-ins that we have heard before. How are you disabling your add-ins? In some cases, going to COM Add-ins and unchecking add-ins is not sufficient to disable them. If you are using an add-in on this list, try uninstalling them first, then running ClearContext. You could also try:
1. Open Outlook as an Administrator
2. Disable all add-ins as listed here
3. Close Outlook
4. Open Outlook normally
5. Check to see if any add-ins are still activated and disable them
6. Restart one more time and verify that all add-ins remain disabled - if any add-in has re-enabled itself, close Outlook and uninstall it
7. Install ClearContext
8. Open Outlook and let ClearContext complete setup

One note - never install ClearContext as an Administrator. ClearContext is installed in the local user account - recommended best practice for all Outlook add-ins. When you install as an Administrator, you're installing for the Admin account, but not for your User Account.
Scott - CC Support

Postby ilestlouis » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:43 am

Unfortunately, i just tried this method (twice), disabling ALL add-in's as adminstrator, reopening and confirming none are open, re-installing clear context, then opening outlook and running install and..... exactly the same crash.

Any other ideas?
ilestlouis

Postby Scott - CC Support » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:12 pm

What other add-ins are you using? It sounds like CC is trying to access an invalid of non-existent mail file?
Scott - CC Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support