The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Clear Context doesn't work with Personal folders

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Clear Context doesn't work with Personal folders

Postby sriley » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:11 am

I have installed Clear Context and it works great with my .ost file (Offline Exchange) mailbox in Outlook. It color codes based on priority and I can change the inbox views, etc.

But most of my email is maintained in my Personal folder (.pst file) as I move the emails from the Exchange server to my harddrive. Clear Context is not working with those files. When I click on one of those folders and click on the ClearContext drop down, almost everything is greyed out except Help, Options, etc. I can't change inbox views, files messages, etc.

Seemed like it was working fine when I first installed it. My IT department moved my personal folder (.pst file) onto the server - and I noticed ClearContext stopped working. We have moved it back to my C drive and I even uninstalled ClearContext but can't get it to work.

Do I need to do a super clean uninstall? And how - I have seen threads complaining about the lack of a complete install. If that's what I need to do please tell me what registry entries, files, etc. to delete. Or please tell me how to fix this.

I wanted to register the product but don't want to pay $90 only to have my Inbox working (since I file those emails to my Personal Folders regularly and that isnt working with CC).

Appreciate help...

-Steve
sriley

Re: Clear Context doesn't work with Personal folders

Postby ClearContext Support » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:42 pm

Messages must be processed by ClearContext for the product to act on them. Processing occurs when a message appears in the primary Inbox. Any message that passes through your primary Inbox and into your offline folders should be available for CC to act on. However, messages received prior to install of ClearContext or that did not pass through your primary Inbox will not be available for CC functionality. I suspect you are encountering messages that were received prior to ClearContext install? Also, make sure that the message store you are acting on is listed as a secondary data store in ClearContext > Options > Configuration.

See this post for a tip on setting up ClearContext to help avoid exceeding your Exchange mail file size limit.

Please confirm for me that this resolves your issue.
ClearContext Support

Postby sriley » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:42 pm

ClearContext Support wrote:Messages must be processed by ClearContext for the product to act on them. Processing occurs when a message appears in the primary Inbox. Any message that passes through your primary Inbox and into your offline folders should be available for CC to act on. However, messages received prior to install of ClearContext or that did not pass through your primary Inbox will not be available for CC functionality. I suspect you are encountering messages that were received prior to ClearContext install? Also, make sure that the message store you are acting on is listed as a secondary data store in ClearContext > Options > Configuration.

See this post for a tip on setting up ClearContext to help avoid exceeding your Exchange mail file size limit.

Please confirm for me that this resolves your issue.

Hmm... I swear it had worked on my Exchange "offline".ost file AND my personal folder .pst before.

I had it setup with the topic folders being my Personal Folders so I could say "File Msg" or "file thread" and it would move them from my Exchange to my Personal Folder. I just really thought it had indexed all of my emails in both files.

Ok, then here is another question. If they are processed in the primary inbox (Exchange offline .ost) and show the color coding, then when they are filed into the Topic folder which is under my Personal Folder .pst file - shouldn't retain their color coding? They don't. And I can't use the inbox views on that section either. The "Views" in Outlook don't even have the four context views unless I click back on the Exchange inbox.

Thanks,
Steve
sriley

Postby Scott - CC Support » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:46 am

Hmm... I swear it had worked on my Exchange "offline".ost file AND my personal folder .pst before.

You can set up for both using a secondary PST if you want. See this page.

Ok, then here is another question. If they are processed in the primary inbox (Exchange offline .ost) and show the color coding, then when they are filed into the Topic folder which is under my Personal Folder .pst file - shouldn't retain their color coding? They don't. And I can't use the inbox views on that section either. The "Views" in Outlook don't even have the four context views unless I click back on the Exchange inbox.

The views are available in the Inbox only, but all messages that pass through the actively scored Inbox should have the data necessary to recreate color-coding when using the correct view. To see, you can manually re-create the view for all folders. Select View > Current View > Define Views. Copy the ClearContext view that you want to use - be sure to select it for use in All Mail or Post Folders. After you save it, switch to the Topic folder and select the view you just created.
Scott - CC Support

Postby sriley » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:08 pm

Scott - CC Support wrote:

You can set up for both using a secondary PST if you want. See this page.

The views are available in the Inbox only, but all messages that pass through the actively scored Inbox should have the data necessary to recreate color-coding when using the correct view. To see, you can manually re-create the view for all folders. Select View > Current View > Define Views. Copy the ClearContext view that you want to use - be sure to select it for use in All Mail or Post Folders. After you save it, switch to the Topic folder and select the view you just created.

I copied the views and when I try to use them on my personal folders I get the following error:

"There is a problem with 4 of your automatic formatting rules and they have been turned off. To edit the riles, on the View menu point to Arrange BY, point to Custom, and then click Automatic Formatting to edit."
sriley

Postby ClearContext Support » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:26 pm

Try adding the application form to this folder. Details here.
ClearContext Support

Postby ClearContext Support » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:38 pm

PS - once you have added the form, you will need to go back and re-enable the automatic formatting in the view you created. Customize the view (View > Current View > Customize Current View), select Automatic Formatting and check the CC formatting entries.
ClearContext Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support