The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Email Addresses

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Email Addresses

Postby kurt » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:13 pm

The only thing I want to use Clear Context for is extracting email addresses from my Outlook 2007 messages. That's all. And it appears not to be possible.

Am I right?

It is infuriating that Outlook has blocked the easy extraction of email addresses from my own mail, so I thought perhaps Clear Context had saved me.

Is there any way to point at a message or a group of messages (not to an entire folder, which is overkill) and extract adresses from all of the following fields:
  • cc:
  • bcc:
  • to:
  • message body
The most important of these are the cc: and bcc: fields ... it appears that ClearContext may handle either one or both of the To: From: fields.
kurt

Re: Email Addresses

Postby ClearContext Support » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:30 pm

CC can grab the TO/FROM/CC/BCC fields for you by folder, prioritize the email addresses by volume and export to a file of your choosing via the Contact Exporter. It doesn't look at the email body.
ClearContext Support

Postby kurt » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:04 am

Are you certain?

I found it worked for To:/From: but not for cc/bcc.

What did I do wrong?
kurt

Postby Scott - CC Support » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:36 am

I just ran a quick test and the addresses in the BCC/CCC fields were picked up. If you are running your own test, make sure that the addresses you use are not the same as ones you use in Outlook - ClearContext ignores all addresses that it recognizes as belonging to you.
Scott - CC Support

Postby kurt » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:51 pm

Sorry to be so dense, but I do not understand. Please clarify your terminology below:
Scott - CC Support wrote:make sure that the addresses you use are not the same as ones you use in Outlook - ClearContext ignores all addresses that it recognizes as belonging to you.
What does "not the same as the ones you use in Outlook" mean?

I point to a folder containing messages with to/from/cc/bcc in them. Some are in my list of contacts, some are not. Why can I not sweep up ALL the addresses referenced in the emails contained in that folder, and which ones, exactly, can I not sweep up?

I am finding Clear Context to be very, very complex ... a somewhat unfamiliar situation for this PhD astrophysicist who is comfortable with a broad spectrum of software.
kurt

Postby Scott - CC Support » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:41 am

I point to a folder containing messages with to/from/cc/bcc in them. Some are in my list of contacts, some are not. Why can I not sweep up ALL the addresses referenced in the emails contained in that folder, and which ones, exactly, can I not sweep up?

The Contact Exporter does exactly that with the following exception - any address that is listed in your Identity is ignored - see ClearContext > Options > Identity for the list.
Scott - CC Support

Postby Alennx » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:43 pm

How hard can it be to scan all the fields and the body of the emails for email strings?

It's text arranged in an easily identified string-type.

ClearContext has no actual use unless it can do this. I don't need another "organizer."

You would sell a million copies of this in a week if you had a single-button scan of the .PST for email addresses anywhere.

Think about it.
Alennx

Postby Scott - CC Support » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:57 pm

Thanks for the feedback.
Scott - CC Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support