The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Thread score vs. Msg score

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Thread score vs. Msg score

Postby mattcooling » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:19 am

I have been experiencing some 'strange' behaviour with ClearContext, and added the 'msgscore' and 'threadscore' fields to my view to try and diagnose it. I have noticed that on some emails, the msgscore does not equal the threadscore even though there are no other messages in that thread. Is this desired behaviour? If so, can you tell me why this is, as some emails are moving into the red zone (thread score -125) even through the individual message score is low (-39, -65, -55).

Many thanks,

Matt
mattcooling

Re: Thread score vs. Msg score

Postby Scott - CC Support » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:17 am

Someone with a Very High contact priority participated in the conversation (replied to this thread). ClearContext sets a priority floor for conversations using the highest priority contact that has replied. Once a reply is received from a contact marked Very High, all messages in that conversation are marked at Very High as well, regardless of the individual message score.
Scott - CC Support

Postby mattcooling » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:20 am

Hi Scott,

Both emails were the first in the thread, and all participants have a 'normal' priority?

Matt
mattcooling

Postby Scott - CC Support » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:34 am

Is the title of the thread a common one? Is it possible that a previous conversation exists with the same subject?
Scott - CC Support

Postby Scott - CC Support » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:35 am

Also, check to make sure that a manual priority override is not set on the thread (via the ClearContext menu).
Scott - CC Support

Postby mattcooling » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:06 am

Yes - I can confirm that it's set to auto

Matt
mattcooling

Postby ClearContext Support » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:25 am

What about the subject of the thread (post above).
ClearContext Support

Postby mattcooling » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:54 pm

Hi,

I have brought all emails with that subject back into my Inbox, then checked that all contacts have a 'Normal' priority, and checked that all threads have an 'Auto' priority.

I have also changed all the scoring options to 0, and this is what my Inbox looks like:

cc.JPG
cc.JPG (41.22 KiB) Viewed 7483 times

The top 4 are the same thread, the rest are individual threads.

Surely they should all be showing in black now?

Do you have any documentation that explains how the scoring is implemented?

Thanks,

Mat
mattcooling

Postby Scott - CC Support » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:43 am

Matt:

I'm confident that the contact priority floor was triggered at some point for this thread. If the subject is a common one (i.e. "Hello") then you might have received a message previously with the same subject from a high priority contact that caused the floor to be set high. Once the floor is set on a given thread, there is no way to adjust it down again - changing contact priorities will not have an impact on historical thread assignments. So, if one of the Contacts was Very High when you initially received a message in this thread, the conversation will be automatically scored very high even after adjusting that contact's priority down.

If your contact priorities are correct for all the messages involved, manually set the conversation priority on this thread to where you want it via the ClearContext > Conversation Priority and monitor conversations from these individuals going forward to ensure that they are scored correctly.

Please let me know if i can provide additional information.
Scott - CC Support

Postby mattcooling » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:58 pm

Hi,

I think I understand it now; can you confirm the following is correct:

1. An email is received with no participants having a contact priority set. The thread is scored normally.
2. An email is received and a participant is added that has a high contact priority. The thread is now scored with a -125 priority, and will never be reduced from this without manual override.
3. The high priority contact has their priority changed to normal. This does not affect any email threads which they have already participated in - only future threads

Many thanks,

Matt
mattcooling

Postby Scott - CC Support » Fri May 01, 2009 8:29 am

This is correct.
Scott - CC Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support