The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Exchange Account Always Forcefully the Default

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Exchange Account Always Forcefully the Default

Postby rkjones » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:09 am

Hi All,

I'm a long-time ClearContext user and have been delightfully happy with the software.

Recently, however, my employer switched from another email package to Microsoft Exchange, now making it possible for me to add my Exchange account into Outlook. I'd like to do this for no other reason than to be able to synchronize my work contacts with my Treo. I don't actually care to read my work email nor have it color-coded via ClearContext . . . at least not on my home laptop.

Whenever I add the Exchange account into ClearContext, though, it seems to become the all-consuming default Inbox upon which ClearContext acts. My Personal Folders Inbox remains untouched, and any auto-assignment rules I create seem to be applied to the Exchange Inbox and not the Personal Folders Inbox.

I've gone to ClearContext --> Options --> Configuration and set the message store there to be the Personal Folders, but that doesn't seem to work . . . it keeps working on the Exchange Inbox. The second I remove the Exchange account, it goes back to color-coding my Personal Folders Inbox.

So . . . what am I doing wrong? Is there any way to force the Personal Folders Inbox to be the one upon which ClearContext acts?

Many thanks, in advance, for your help!

Kyle
rkjones

Re: Exchange Account Always Forcefully the Default

Postby Scott - CC Support » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:11 am

ClearContext actively manages the primary, default inbox as designated by Outlook. When you add the Exchange account, you are changing the default. Depending on the version of Outlook you are running, you may be able to change the Outlook default via Tools > Account Settings.
Scott - CC Support

Postby rkjones » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:13 am

Hi Scott,

I'm actually running on Microsoft Outlook 2007. I tried to set one of the POP3 accounts as the default by going into Tools --> Account Settings as you suggested, and was successfully able to get the "send from this account by default" to move to one of my POP3 accounts. However, this didn't seem to change ClearContext's behavior of acting upon the Exchange inbox instead of the Personal Folders one.

Thoughts?

Kyle
rkjones

Postby Scott - CC Support » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:20 pm

Try changing the default on Tools > Account Settings > Data Files.
Scott - CC Support

Postby rkjones » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:08 pm

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, though, that isn't going to work as a solution. When you set a Personal Folders PST to be the default data file, it causes the Exchange emails to be stored locally on the machine instead of on the Exchange server. I know: it's weird, but try it and you'll see.

The original purpose of adding in the Exchange account was so that I could sync work-related contacts into my cell phone. However, when I add in the Exchange account, ClearContext then begins to work against my Exchange Inbox instead of my Personal Folders Inbox.

Do you have any further suggestions that I could try, or are we at the point that we need to submit this as a bug/feature request for a future version?

Thanks,

Kyle
rkjones

Postby Scott - CC Support » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:29 pm

Unfortunately there is no manual way to change which Inbox ClearContext processes. This is on our features list for future consideration.
Scott - CC Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support