The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Feature request: auto-lookup in Assign Topic box

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Feature request: auto-lookup in Assign Topic box

Postby g.torenvliet » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:20 pm

Clear Context is great. One minor beef is the challenge I have in assigning topics to emails.

It would be nice if in the dialog box where you assign a topic, you could type into the drop down to select topics by any text in that topic. For example, I currently have the folders:

Work/Administrivia
Work/Papers
Work/Proposals
Work/Process

To select these topics in the first 'select topic' dialog, I either always have to type 'Work/' and then my desired folder, I have to click to go to the drop-down, or I have to click the Select Topic button to get to the Topic Selector dialog.

It would be much more efficient if I could just type in a part of the topic. E.g., in the above, 'pa' would show auto-select my 'Work/Papers' folder. If I wanted to create a new topic, I could just hit backspace to get rid of the suggestion.

This would make it just like specifying email addresses in outlook, or web addresses in IE.

thanks,
-Gerard
g.torenvliet

Re: Feature request: auto-lookup in Assign Topic box

Postby ClearContext Support » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:58 pm

Gerard:

Instead of clicking on the drop down, open the Topic Selector by pressing the topic button or Alt-P - it behaves in exactly the way you describe.

Watch our tutorial video on Topics in our User Guide for more detail.
ClearContext Support

Postby Theo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:07 pm

I've got way too many topics to scroll through the list - hence I hit "<Show all topics> and then the dialogue which displays works in the way you describe. Not perfect, but way easier than navigating to the right place.

FYI - I seem to recall that a request for the drop down topic suggestions to have this method of "searching" for topics has been raised before.

Hope helps
Theo

Postby carl » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:13 pm

Theo wrote:I seem to recall that a request for the drop down topic suggestions to have this method of "searching" for topics has been raised before.

It's item [C08] on my list ;-)
carl

Postby Scott - CC Support » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:08 pm

I seem to recall that a request for the drop down topic suggestions to have this method of "searching" for topics has been raised before.

Due to a limitation in the Outlook drop down API this simply can't be done. However, there's a Topic assignment overhaul coming that I believe you will be pleased with. Watch our blog for future announcements.
Scott - CC Support

Postby CuriousG » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:08 am

Two possible options:
1) Offer an option to Pop up the Topic Selection Box instead of the smaller list box
2) Change the list box to use the function from the Topic Selection Box field and just format it to look like the list picker

Thanks,
G
CuriousG

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support