The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

AutoAssign Not Working - File Corruption?

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

AutoAssign Not Working - File Corruption?

Postby JohnG » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:02 pm

I don't know what has happened on my system. I uninstalled/re-installed the CC4 software and now AutoAssign does not work. I have tried to do so for items in my Inbox and have indicated that CC4 should overwrite topics and should update items in my Inbox. No Category/Topic icon is filled in for the messages after doing so.

I would guess that something is corrupted in CC4 as I seem to remember that uninstalling does not get rid of all CC4 files. I would also guess that the next step would be to do a COMPLETE uninstall. Could you inform me as to how to do this.

The onmly other possibility is that my antivirus/antispam software is interfering somehow. I began using it a week and a half ago. It is McAfee Total Protection. It adds a folder under Inbox for its own use and does check emails.

Thanks in advance.
JohnG

Re: AutoAssign Not Working - File Corruption?

Postby ClearContext Support » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:56 am

Go to MessageContext for the message that should have been affected but was not. Open the History tab. Does it show that another AutoAssign rule was applied to a message? My guess is that there's a rule in the top of your AutoAssign list that is processing the message, causing all subsequent messages to be ignored.

If that doesn't help, go to ClearContext > About > Email Support and send screen prints of your AutoAssign Management window, the rule you expect to be applied and the message that it should have been applied to. Thanks for your patience as we troubleshoot.
ClearContext Support

Postby JohnG » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:12 am

First all, I do appreciate your help. However, it is clear to me that something went wrong here - either file corruption or something with McAfee Anti-spam. History for the message indicates the AutoAssign WAS applied. However, the Outllook screen does not show the colored icon for the topic. However, the CC4 toolbar correctly shows the topic assigned.

I want to make things clear here: it appears that CC4 IS assigning a topic to the message and is showing a priority. It IS NOT, however, showing the colored icon for the category. I will send in a copy of my Outllook screen, the history and the rule as requested.
JohnG

Postby JohnG » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:44 am

FYI -

Have sent in the appropriate screenshots to Technical Support. I have also uninstalled McAfee - replacing it with MIcrosoft Security Essentials. The problem still exists.
JohnG

Postby ClearContext Support » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:31 am

Aaahhh - Go to Tools > Rules and Alerts. Uncheck the rule “Clear categories on mail.” I expect this will resolve the issue?
ClearContext Support

Postby JohnG » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:04 pm

I hope that this is not the resolution for which I sent all the documentation.

Let me make this clear: I did not set up anything new in Outlook. Everything was working fine. I simply uninstalled and reinstalled CC4. After doing so, it would only do part of it's job. It sets priority and correctly indicates the Topic in the CC4 toolbar. It DOES NOT set the Category from the Topic. It had been doing so even with "Clear categories on mail" set before now.

I have unset it. Needless to say, that did not correct the problem. I have uninstalled McAfee as well with no change. I have also run SCANPST on my email file with no change.

After doing as you recommended, I closed and re-opened Outlook. I then set an AutoAssign for one of the problem items and indicated that it should override and that it should be applied to the Inbox. It still did not set Category from the Topic.

I still think that CC4 got corrupted somehow but uninstall/reinstalls have done nothing. But then again, CC4 leaves files behind that may be the cause of the problem.

I await an answer from my email as to how to proceed.
JohnG

Postby JohnG » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:16 am

I just tried something and it resolved my problem. I have no idea why it worked. After I tell you what I did, perhaps you can explain why it worked? (I still maintain that something was corrupted.)

As I mentioned in previous messages, CC4 would do everything on the AutoAssign but set the Outlook Category which would then show the appropriate icon. This was still the case after a few suggested fixes. I tried something different as follows:

1. I set up an AutoAssign for one of the problem messages using the same name used before. Instead of using the correct Topic, I used a different one. (NB. Doing this with the correct Topic never worked.)
2. CC4 asked me if I wanted to replace the existing rule and I said yes.
3. CC4 now did everything expected including propagation of the Outlook Category and the resultant colored icon.
4. I again created an AutoAssign with thwe same name for the problem message. This time I used the correct Topic.
5. CC4 asked me if I wanted to replace the previous rule and I said yes.
6. CC4 now did everything correctly and I have my correct AutoAssign, i.e. the one that did not work originally.

Can you explain why I would need to do the above and why it worked?
JohnG

Postby ClearContext Support » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:14 am

It was this new information given at the same time as your documentation that leads me to believe the Outlook rule is the culprit:

History for the message indicates the AutoAssign WAS applied. However, the Outllook screen does not show the colored icon for the topic. However, the CC4 toolbar correctly shows the topic assigned.

I'm convinced this is a timing problem. New message comes in. ClearContext AutoAssign rule tags the rule with Topic and Category. Outlook rule removes all categories on the message. If the CC rule fires first the Topic is assigned but the category is removed by the Outlook rule, yielding the behavior you describe. If the Outlook rule fires first, then everything works as expected. My guess is that the fundamental change you refer to is actually a change in the performance of your setup that caused the timing of these two events to reverse.

Also note that disabling the rule doesn't affect messages already in the Inbox - only those received after you turn it off.

If you want to ensure that you don't see this behavior again, you can try one of two things:

1) turn off the Outlook Rule completely
2) delay CCs processing a couple of notches to the right by going to ClearContext > Options > Scoring
ClearContext Support

Postby JohnG » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:28 am

Ok. I guess the explanation makes sense. But....

Why is it that AFTER I turned off the only Outlook rule present (Clear categories on mail), I still had a problem setting up the AutoAssign to the original Topic. I created an AutoAssign with the original name, indicated that it should override the existing Topic and that it should be applied to the Inbox. Did you ignore propagating the Outlook category because it was the same as the existing Topic? If so that would fully explain things.
JohnG

Postby ClearContext Support » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:06 am

I'm not sure why you saw that behavior.
ClearContext Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support