The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Many Different Threads...All With the Same Subject

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Many Different Threads...All With the Same Subject

Postby rlj » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:09 am

I have been looking for a tool like Clear Context for a while and I'm very impressed with it. I installed the pro trial a few days ago and jumped right in with organizing my email messages (Of course I review all the options and push all the buttons before ever reviewing a tutorial or a manual). After processing (assigning a Topic and filing) about 1,000 of the 3,700 messages in my inbox, I started to notice that some of the already-processed messages in my TOPIC-X folder bore the new TOPIC-Y designation. After a few hours in these forums it seems that even if I set an auto-assign rule such that all emails from Client-X's address are assigned Topic-X, the next email I file from Client-Y that happens to have the same subject as Client-X's email will end up changing Client-X's topic.

I'm a tax lawyer and it seems that 80% of my clients send me emails with generic subjects such as "My Case" or "My Tax Case" or "IRS Issue" or simply "HELP!" So it seems the CC system won't work for me if a prior message's topic changes every time a client sends me a message with a generic subject. Is there any way to override the auto-topic-by-subject feature via manual topic assignment or the auto-assign rules?

Other than this little issue, CC Pro has all the features I've been looking for.
rlj

Re: Many Different Threads...All With the Same Subject

Postby Scott - CC Support » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:23 pm

Thanks for the detailed feedback!

As you have discovered, ClearContext assigns Topics to threads, not messages. The advantages of this are many, including single-click filing and automatic sent message categorization and filing. Unfortunately, there is no way to break this connection, though we will re-evaluate the way this works in a future release. Most of our customers find that after some use, the advantages of this feature far outweigh the occasional mis-assigned message. To mitigate, strive to assign unique subjects to the messages that you send and consider changing duplicated subjects when replying.
Scott - CC Support

Postby balexander » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:49 pm

Any update on this issue? I had to de-install CC because, like rlj, my clients use the same subjects. Even if there was a way to make automatic topics stop. Is there a way to manually assign each message to a topic, regarless of the subject line? I'd love to try the new releases, but I can't have emails from client X going into the topic reserved for client Y. Thanks.
balexander

Postby rlj » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:54 pm

Nope, I don't thnk there is going to be an update on this issue. Clear Context is designed to handle subjects and topics, not sender or receiver. From my brief use of CC I think it does a great job of doing what it is designed to do. Unfortunately, for those of us that need to sort by sender, it's just not the right tool. In other words, CCis a great wrench, but it's not the right wrench for our job. (it must be very frustrating for developers to get negative feedback when someone doesn't like the application simply b/c it doesn't do what the user want its to do. At the iPhone app store I saw several poor reviews for a solitaire game from people who, from their comments, didn't seem to know how to play solitaire, but it is a great solitaire app. I'll never understand those people.)

Go check out the new Outlook add-in at davidco.com that is coming in July. I believe this version doesn't auto-file like CC, but I think it's supposed to remember where you previously filed emails based on sender.

Heck, I might need to use both systems--one to handle emails from clients (different senders, same subject), and one to handle intra-office emails (same sender, different subjects).
rlj

Postby deva » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:09 am

Hello everyone,

Improved threading is a core part of what we're building in the next major release of the ClearContext Outlook client application. We still have more development and testing to be done on this, but we hope to eliminate many of the limitations of our current threading system, such as this one - different threads with the same subject.

More details on this and much more coming in the blog by next week.
deva

Postby GiedriusM » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:17 am

I have many emails on similar subject and content, but I do not want them to put into the same Topic/Folder as in most cases they are not related between themselves. How can I make sure that only emails from the same person goes to the particular Topic/Folder, but not all emails from different people on simlar subject and similar content?
GiedriusM

Postby ClearContext Support » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:03 am

ClearContext assigns Topics by conversation thread, not individual messages. There is no way to change this behavior at this time. you can set up AutoAssign rules to assign Topics by sender, but this will change the Topic assignment for other past messages in the thread as well.
ClearContext Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support