The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

ClearContext affecting Outlook email editor and Word

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

ClearContext affecting Outlook email editor and Word

Postby Bethel Fetterman » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:58 pm

I've been using ClearContext for about 4 months, with no issues.
This week the laptop hard-drive crashed, and IT replaced my lapotp for me. So I have a fresh install of Word, Outlook etc.
I installed ClearContext v4.6.6 earlier this week, and have been having problems ever since.
Today I uninstalled it, and installed ClearContext v5.0, and am immediately having the same issues.

Here's what's happening, once ClearContext is installed.

Within Outlook, I can create new and reply to emails, but I cannot use the mouse to navigate within the email.
I can use the mouse to click into the various address boxes, and to click into the window for the email body. But once in the email body, I cannot use the mouse to click and move the cursor to different points within the email, such as to click in an area earlier and make an edit. I can only use keyboard commands to navigate to different areas within the email and make edits.

Outside of Outlook, I cannot open Word files by selecting them. I can click on a Word file to highlight and select it, but single- and double-clicking on the document does not allow it to open. I also cannot open it if a highlight to select it and hit "Enter". The only way for me to open a Word file is to first open the Word app (i.e. run Winword.exe), and then use File-Open to choose and open the document.

Once I am in the Word document, I am having the same trouble editing the document. I can use keyboard commands to navigate within the document, but I can't use the mouse to move the cursor.

I have tried a number of things to isolate the problem. We have done several rounds of repair on Office products; (no repair on the OST file is needed b/c this is a fresh install of Outlook); we have dropped and reset to default the Word profile; we have changed the OUtlook setting to no longer use Word as the email editor. None of this has any effect. The only thing that has been successful is to uninstall ClearContext. As soon as CC is uninstalled, Word and Outlook behave normally immediately, without the need for closing/reopening the apps or rebooting the machine. As soon as CC is reinstalled, using a fresh download of the installation file, the problems immediately recur.

I have gone through the CC support info, and have down full uninstalls including your batch file to remove residual files. I have no other add-ons installed, and have confirmed that the system doesn't think I have any other add-ons installed, so there should be nothing in conflict with CC.

I am at a loss. At this point, I am uninstalling CC v5.0 so that I can continue to work, and I don't know of any way to be able to continue to us the product. I'm very disappointed, b/c I found it to be INCREDIBLY helpful. So any solutions you could offer would be most appreciated.
Bethel Fetterman

Re: ClearContext affecting Outlook email editor and Word

Postby ClearContext Support » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:56 pm

Try a complete removal/reinstall of ClearContext to see if that fixes the issue. If not, what version of Office and Windows are you running? If Office 2003, try this switch and see if it fixes the issue.
ClearContext Support

Postby Bethel Fetterman » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:56 am

Thank you, I'll definitely give this a try!

I had done several CC uninstall / reinstalls in the debug process before posting, and that didn't fix the issue. So I've done a fresh reinstall and will try this switch and see how it goes. I'll circle back end of week and let you know if it's working.

FYI, when I downloaded your separate uninstall package for v5.0, there is one file that I couldn't extract from the zip file.
The file that won't extract is "clearcontext.msi".
The message is:
"Warning: skipping 'clearcontext.msi'. The 32-bit CRC stored in the local header for this file is not the same as the 32-bit CRC stored in the central header."

As a result, there was one error or warning in the script, unfortunately I didn't capture it. However, the uninstall script seemed to work successfully as a whole.
Bethel Fetterman

Postby Bethel Fetterman » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:26 pm

Unfortunately the registry update didn't address the issue, it's acting up again already.

I'm also seeing that although ClearContext switched my view to "ClearContext by Date" view, the view isn't quite as I expected. There is a column for Topic, but the column did not get populated with the suggested topics assigned by ClearContext. The messages do have topics assigned, i can see this by clicking on the "File" link and see where it has definitely assigned, vs is making a guess; but it's not showing in the view.

I'm uninstalling once again.
Bethel Fetterman

Postby Scott - CC Support » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:50 pm

See our beta page for information on changes in views. Topics don't exist in v5 and you won't see anything written in the Topic field on old views. Switch to new views and watch for the category field to be updated with Project name.

There is little doubt that your environment is corrupted and that this interaction with CC is causing a problem. The troubleshooting script should provide a fix. In particular, if you haven't tried it already run Help > Detect and Repair against your setup (may ask for installation CDs) and/or try creating a new Windows account on your PC to see if the problem persists there. There are other tips available in that link as well. Please let me know what you find.
Scott - CC Support

Postby Bethel Fetterman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:24 pm

I've done everythign on the list except the FIXMAPI, the exe doesn't appear to execute. When i look at the documentation that's pulled up by the link in your list, it suggest to me that this is related to IE5, whereas I'm in IE7.

The only thing I haven't done is ask IT to uninstall and reinstall Microsoft products. But this is a brand new laptop, with a fresh build, so I'm not sure that will help - or that they'd be willing to do it for me. I will have to ask.

In a moment of desparation last night I considered dropping back a version; but then I remembered that this all started on v4.06, before the v5 upgrade, so I don't think that's the issue either.

I'll check back periodically to see if you have any other ideas for me. I'm pretty bummed that I can't figure this out. This tool has been so helpful to me the last few months, and the filing problem has already gotten out of hand. :)
Bethel Fetterman

Postby ClearContext Support » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:21 am

Though it's looking unlikely that it will work, please do go ahead and try FIXMAPI.

If that doesn't work, try creating a new account on the pc and see if the problem persists there.

Please let me know the results.
ClearContext Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support