The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Priorities set, but not reflecting correct color.

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Priorities set, but not reflecting correct color.

Postby rreimund » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:09 pm

Hi there..
I'm currently evaluating Clear Context for our company's Customer Center. But I'm having some trouble at the moment. I've got a number of emails that I've assigned a topic of one of our customers (CustomerName). There's a thread in particular that's high priority, so I've set it as such, but it's still showing up as black text, even though it very clearly says "Very High Priority" in the drop down for priority. I tried restoring the view, I've selected other messages and reset the priority, I've changed the topic and reset priority, I've even confirmed that the current view has Very High Priority emails shown in red (View-->Current View-->Customize Current View-->Automatic Formatting) and that's correct, it just doesn't display it in red.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, my setup is:
WinXP SP2
Outlook 2000 SP3
not sure the version of Exchange, but this happens when I'm online, and I download all mail to my inbox on my machine (i.e. not sitting on the server)
Also happens after restarting Outlook, and after restarting the computer.

- Rick
rreimund

Prioritization Algorithm

Postby brad » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:23 pm

Hi Rick -

The color coding is not solely determined by the message priority. ClearContext looks at the sender, the directness of the email, thread participation and thread priority to assess a composite score that is used to rank and color-code within the Inbox.

So, it's possible that, even though you have the message marked as Very High priority, it could be from an unknown sender and/or not addressed directly to you and therefore it would appear in black and lower priority.

If you'd like to adjust the weighting of assigned thread priority, go to Tools > Options > ClearContext > Scoring and change the parameters there. Also, adding the sender to your address book will have a significant impact in the default Scoring parameters.

For more detail on our scoring algorithm and adjusting the weighting, see our the Scoring section of our User Guide.

Please let me know if this resolves your issue.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby rreimund » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:33 pm

Ok.. I understood all of that, but I though that manually setting a priority would override the heuristics in the background.. i.e. it might be a contact you isn't usually a priority, and which you've had little participation in the thread, but it's something that someone under you is working on and you want to keep the thread that you're being copied on up on top to keep an eye on it..
In this case, it's actually something I'm working on, and I want to have it among the highest priority mails that I have, but there doesn't appear to be a way to get around the weighting on an ad hoc manual basis. I think that limits the usability overall..
I mean, I like cruise control and all, and I think the new radar based cruise controls some luxury cars have is awesome, but if I want to stop right now because I'm having chest pains, or I want to accelerate and move to the side because I have a tractor trailer coming up on my ass and about to hit me.

Automation is great, but a manual failsafe/override seems to be a critical piece.
rreimund

Bump up the Message and Thread Priority Weighting

Postby brad » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:44 pm

I am nearly positive that if you bump up the Message and Thread Priority scoring slider a notch or two and the Known Addresses scoring down a notch you will see exactly what you want. This is how I have used the product since day one - when I mark something high priority, even from an unknown sender, the whole thread gets marked in red. I suspect with a little tweaking the product will accomplish what you want.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby rreimund » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:52 pm

ok thanks.. I'll bang on that tomorrow as I'm on my way out..

btw.. I think I got a little carried away with my metaphors :D
rreimund

No worries

Postby brad » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:56 pm

No worries. Try it out - I'll be interested to hear how it works for you.
Brad Meador
brad

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support