The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Problem where topic/thread = subject if subject is the same

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Problem where topic/thread = subject if subject is the same

Postby barthrh » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:12 pm

I'm having a bit of an issue with topic/thread = subject. Some people use really unoriginal subjects, such as "our meeting" or "thanks" or "following up". All of those messages are considered the same thread by CC. The problem is exacerbated when I try to assign a different topic to this new message. By the looks of it, it's all or nothing. Either I assign the new topic to that message and every message w/ the same subject, I lump that message with the old tipic, or I can't assign a topic at all.

Do I understand the assignments correctly? It would be great to have the ability to "split" the thread, or at least assign a topic independently to the single message instead of sweeping it back to every other message.
barthrh

Re: Problem where topic/thread = subject if subject is the same

Postby ClearContext Support » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:54 pm

Thanks for your feedback. In the current ClearContext release, Topics are assigned to conversation threads via Subject. This allows one-click filing, sent message filing, filing on reply, etc.. We are looking into ways to make this smarter for an upcoming release.
ClearContext Support

Postby dajerde » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:57 am

You didn't answer the question. I have the same problem. One example (although there are many): Two projects, each with the same primary client, each have e-mail messages routinely identified only by the client name. As a result, I have messages that should be associated with one project that are misidentified and archived in the second.

How to fix in v4? Can I do something about the problem if I install v5 beta?
dajerde

Postby Scott - CC Support » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:07 pm

Topics are assigned to conversations. If you have two clients that use the same subject, the Topic assignment on one message will automatically be applied to the second. v5 should handle this better and may in certain cases distinguish between the two.
Scott - CC Support

Postby dajerde » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:12 am

Scott - CC Support wrote:Topics are assigned to conversations. If you have two clients that use the same subject, the Topic assignment on one message will automatically be applied to the second. v5 should handle this better and may in certain cases distinguish between the two.

v5 is a welcome improvement over earlier versions, but I am running into this situation more and more frequently (several times a week). It is really bothersome to workaround this issue; any plans for a fix?
dajerde

Postby Scott - CC Support » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:56 am

In v5, where possible, ClearContext uses Outlook's Conversation ID to track conversation threads. Unfortunately, there are some email services that don't support Conversation ID. When we encounter a message that does not support this standard, we are forced to revert back to subject based threading. Exchange 2010 fixes this issue by proactively repairing messages that come from services that don't support the standard.

Net net, if you primarily communicate with Exchange users, this shouldn't be a problem. As you communicate with folks outside of Exchange subject based threading is the only option available to associate conversations. This should become less of a problem as the Conversation ID standard is embraced by all email services.
Scott - CC Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support