The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

project notes not associated with an outlook item?

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

project notes not associated with an outlook item?

Postby btrcp2000 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:34 am

What are some best practices around tracking small bits of info that are not associated with a task, email, appt, etc.? For example, a website URL, phone number, etc. The "notes" field in the project sidebar seems to small to be effective for this.
btrcp2000

Re: project notes not associated with an outlook item?

Postby ClearContext Support » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:24 pm

Those small miscellaneous items are what the notes field in the Project sidebar were envisioned for. Are you finding you need more screen area for those types of items?
ClearContext Support

Postby btrcp2000 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:41 am

Yes. I tend to want to timestamp random thoughts and have them in some searchable format, preferable using native Outlook resources which allows me to use my blackberry. Seems like linking the existing OL Notes to the projects by categories would work quite well. My needs stop short of billable hours, so I could see the journaling feature being nice for some, but overkill for me.

I have been hesitant to use the builtin CC space as it would fill quickly, and the info would be lost if I ever stopped using clearcontext (or was forced to by IT, frankly surprised I was able to install cc in the first place!). While we're discussing things, some kind of "bulletin board" space for each project would be nice. Perhaps clicking on the notes space would expand to a fullscreen window that could accept images, free text, link to a sharepoint folder or network drive, etc. And how about a context item for internet explorer, ie. right click to "link this page to Project XYZ"

The more native the better though, as there are lots of people like me who will not have the freedom of installling software willy nilly, but find outlook's built in organization features lacking. Frankly, I think there is a strong niche there for you to be as robust as possible within a one-user instance of Outlook/Exchange. Lots of industries will never allow a cloud type solution for an individual for good reason, but that doesn't mean the Outlook experience has to be so limited.
btrcp2000

Postby ClearContext Support » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:13 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Better integrating additional types of information into Projects is something we are looking into for the future.
ClearContext Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support