The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Renaming threads

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Renaming threads

Postby rcollings » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:38 am

One problem I am experiencing is those correspondents who always use the same subject line in their email to cover a whole range of issues - both CC and Outlook effectively treat these emails as belonging to a single thread.

What happens if I try and edit an incoming message and change the subject line to make it unique before replying. Will CC pick this up and treat the incoming email and my reply as part of a new thread?
Richard
London, UK
CC V6.0.1+ Outlook 2010 + Windows 7 + POP3
rcollings

Postby brad » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:18 am

The reply will start a new thread, but the original message will still be associated with the initial thread.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby rcollings » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:20 am

So I discovered! Although Outlook treats both the original message and the reply as part of a new conversation when displaying messages in a Conversation view.

What happens if I drag the original email out of the Inbox, rename the subject and drag it back into the Inbox - will CC reassign it? Haven't had a chance to try this yet.

If it is not possible to remove an email from a Clear Context thread and start a new one at the moment, is this somehting that you have considered providing the facility for in the future in some way.
Richard
London, UK
rcollings

Postby ClearContext Support » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:27 pm

What happens if I drag the original email out of the Inbox, rename the subject and drag it back into the Inbox - will CC reassign it? Haven't had a chance to try this yet.

No, this won't work. The message already has a thread id assigned to it, so IMS won't try to reassign one.

If it is not possible to remove an email from a Clear Context thread and start a new one at the moment, is this somehting that you have considered providing the facility for in the future in some way.

Advanced threading, including a feature similar to this one, is on our list for consideration in a future release.
ClearContext Support

Postby rcollings » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:37 pm

ClearContext Support wrote:Advanced threading, including a feature similar to this one, is on our list for consideration in a future release.
Well I would certainly vote for such a feature! I have one client who just puts the subject 'Richard' in all his emails! Not very helpful at the best of times but when using a subject based threading mechanism, then it becomes a complete pain. It is difficult to say anything because he is a client and I don't want to offend!
Richard
London, UK
rcollings

Postby subseaguy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:25 pm

I did find a work around for changing threads. First, you need to have access to the thread ID which you can access from the field chooser. Then sort on the thread id and move the email into the thead ID you want to change to. I would presume, but haven't tested it, if you wanted to have the same message in two thread topics, you could make a copy of the message and re-assign the thread id to the copy.
subseaguy

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support