The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Renaming Topics - What about tasks and appts?

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Renaming Topics - What about tasks and appts?

Postby rowdyroddy » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:54 pm

First, I want to say the CC rocks. I've been using it for quite a while now and I couldn't live without it. Now down to business...

I've seen several posts about renaming topics that refers to a post that suggest that all you need to do is rename the topic folder. That might work great for e-mail messages but what about tasks and appts with that topic? I've tested this out and it doesn't seem to do anything with the tasks and appts.

I'm trying to implement GTD and the guidance for this recommends using topics for projects. This makes perfect sense but I'm thinking I probably need an Active Projects project, a Deferred Projects project, and a Completed Projects project. Under each, I will have subprojects (topics) that I would like the ability to move between the different parent projects. Any ideas what would be the best way to implement this?

Thanks,
Rod
rowdyroddy

Postby brad » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:59 pm

Rod:

I've seen several posts about renaming topics that refers to a post that suggest that all you need to do is rename the topic folder.

Can you point me to the thread that says this? This is NOT how you should rename an email thread's Topic assignment. You should follow directions here.

When you follow the directions in the link above, this will change Topic assignments for all active Tasks and Appointments that are part of the email threads that you moved.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby rowdyroddy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:20 pm

This is actually the post I was referring to. You are right, it doesn't suggest renaming but rather a move operation.

The question is... if I create a task from scratch (not from an e-mail) and assign a topic to it, when I go to the topic folder to select all for the move, it doesn't appear. So, how do these tasks get moved to the new topic? Do I have to do them all by hand?

A "move topic" or "rename topic" feature would be outstanding.

Thanks.
rowdyroddy

Postby brad » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:58 pm

Are you duplicating Topics to Categories (see ClearContext > Options > Preferences > Topic Options to check)? If so:
1. Go to your Task view
2. Sort by category
3. Highlight all tasks with the Topic/Category that you want to change
4. Change the Topic assignment via the Toolbar.

If you are not duplicating to categories, following directions in our User Guide to add Topic name to your tasks and repeat the above, sorting on Topics.
Brad Meador
brad

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support