The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Store topics in multiple .pst's ?

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Store topics in multiple .pst's ?

Postby gedaso » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:16 am

With the current version of ClearContext, it appears that you can only file emails by topic within a single pst file (although the Topics folder can have a multi-level structure below it).

The manual filing system I have previously used involved a separate pst file for each customer, and then under each customer, folders for individual projects. I have several gigs of data in these pst files. If possible I'd like to retain the use of seperate pst files to avoid having one gigantic pst file. Is this a potential feature for a future version of ClearContext ?
gedaso

Alternate PST's

Postby brad » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:05 am

Geoff -

Currently, ClearContext requires a single folder to be defined as a ClearContext Topic folder. This gives us a controlled environment in which to monitor for additional folders, changes in topic assignment via drag & drop, etc.. At this time, there's no way to define multiple PST's as different topic folders. I will add it to our proposed future features list, but I am unable to estimate when this might make it into the product.

In the mean time, a workaround might be to create a separate root topic folder for each client name and archive those messages into your client specific pst file on a regular basis.

Thanks again for your interest - I look forward to more questions as you continue to dive into the product.
Brad Meador
brad

Moving email into .psts

Postby john_mcpherson » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:11 am

I don't neccessarily need ClearContext functionality in multiple .psts but I do need to be able to move stuff from the inbox into multiple .psts. Of course I use rules now. ClearContext wouldn't need to be able to sort mail in external folders but if a topic could be an internal topic or an external topic where external topics would simply move any emails with that topic to a folder in another .pst that would help. I've looked at ClearContext several times but can't really take advantage of it because the majority of my mail is stored in offline .psts.
john_mcpherson

Thanks for the feedback

Postby brad » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:05 pm

John:

Thanks for the feedback, this helps us priorize future features. FYI, we are planning on adding functionality that will allow the sharing of external message threads:

http://www.clearcontext.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=151

We are madly working on our 2.0 product right now. We will post an update to our product plan here and in our weblog once v2.0 is complete.
Brad Meador
brad

Re: Store topics in multiple .pst's ?

Postby nads205 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:46 am

Hi there,

I have also have mail in multiple pst files. The reason for this is that I was informed that a .pst file can only be no bigger than 2gb in size, otherwise you run the risk of corrupting the file.

Is this true? If not then happy days.
nads205

Postby Scott - CC Support » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:51 am

You can use ClearContext to file into two PSTs via shared filing.

There used to be a 2 GB limit on mail files, but that changed in Outlook 2003. If you created the mail file using Outlook 2003 or later, your mail file can be greater than 2 GB. I do recommend, however, that you keep your primary mail file size below 2 GB for performance reasons.
Scott - CC Support

Postby ClearContext Support » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:01 pm

Full support for filing to unlimited PST files is provided in v5.0 and later.
ClearContext Support

Postby nads205 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:15 am

Thanks for the heads up. Will upgrade!
nads205

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support