The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Suggestions for Keyboard Shortcuts and other time savers

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Suggestions for Keyboard Shortcuts and other time savers

Postby stoliosoda » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:35 pm

Hi, I am using CC and it is a life saver. My inbox is downright sisiphyean, and filing mail as fast as I can is really my main reason for using the tool. I have a few things that would really help to make the process a little faster, especially for power users:

[*] Make the Topic Selector the default experience in the ClearContext Send Mail Control Panel (occurs when you CTRL-ENTER on a new message or reply with no assigned topic; inconsistent with other experiences at present, like "File Message")
[*]Add a keyboard shortcut for "Thread" button in the inbox (like Alt-M for filing a message - why not for threads?)
[*]Within the Topic Selector, change the escape characters in keyboard navigation to include slashes (the behavior in Firefox would be perfect to mimic). If you use CTRL - left or right arrows, the slashes aren't "stop points" and they really need to be; this is the quickest way to either navigate via typing or create new subtopics during assignment, and the current behavior is a real nuisance.

Keep up the great work! This is a really amazing product.

- Seth Miller
Founder & CEO
Miller Systems, Inc.
stoliosoda

Re: Suggestions for Keyboard Shortcuts and other time savers

Postby Scott - CC Support » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:14 am

Make the Topic Selector the default experience in the ClearContext Send Mail Control Panel (occurs when you CTRL-ENTER on a new message or reply with no assigned topic; inconsistent with other experiences at present, like "File Message")

This is high on my list of things to enhance in the product, though because that dialog is shared with other features (file/delete protection, follow-up status, etc.) there are some UI issues to work through first.

Add a keyboard shortcut for "Thread" button in the inbox (like Alt-M for filing a message - why not for threads?)

In the Outlook main window, toolbar shortcuts are limited to letters in the button itself. Unfortunately, there are very few letters available that don't conflict with a native Outlook function. Assuming the ribbon is being ported to the main window in Outlook 14, I suspect this behavior will change in the next release of Office.

Within the Topic Selector, change the escape characters in keyboard navigation to include slashes (the behavior in Firefox would be perfect to mimic). If you use CTRL - left or right arrows, the slashes aren't "stop points" and they really need to be; this is the quickest way to either navigate via typing or create new subtopics during assignment, and the current behavior is a real nuisance.

I'm not sure I follow - please describe in more detail how you would like this to work.

Thanks for the feedback!
Scott - CC Support

Postby stoliosoda » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:04 pm

Scott - really sorry for the eternity between replies - I did not realize that you had posted one. Sorry about that!

I made a screencam showing what I mean but it's too big to attach. Do you have an FTP server I can upload to? Happy to pass it along.

Thanks!

Seth
stoliosoda

Postby Scott - CC Support » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:34 pm

Seth:

Try sending it to me at support at clearcontext dot com via YouSendIt. Thanks.
Scott - CC Support

Postby gregstevens » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:36 pm

Hello,

I would like to suggest that ALT+M work when you are reading a message in it's own Outlook window (e.g. double clicked the message to open it in a new window).

Many times I go to hit ALT+M while in a full screen message and am always dissapointed when I have to actually move my hands to my mouse and click "File Message". This still beats doing email without ClearContext though!

Overall love the product and couldn't live without it. Keep up the great work!
gregstevens

Postby ClearContext Support » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:45 pm

In Outlook 2003, Alt-M is the keyboard shortcut for filing from an open message. Unfortunately, Outlook 2007 controls assignment of keyboard shortcuts in the ribbon - there is simply no way for us to set this shortcut using the Outlook API.

Thanks for the feedback.
ClearContext Support

Postby Baylo » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:46 pm

I recommend looking into AutoHotKey as a workaround for this (www.autohotkey.com). This little background app lets you assign key sequences to key combinations. The beauty is that the key sequence can be programmed to be different depending on the window that has focus. So, for instance, I have programmed windows+m to file a message regardless of whether I'm looking at the inbox or the opened message, even though the *actual* key sequences are different: "alt+m" in the inbox or "alt, h, y1" in the opened message. You can do likewise for scheduling appointments, creating action items, and so on...

Feel free to send me a note if you'd like an example file.

Mark
Baylo

Postby alexa » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:54 pm

Heya,

Can I make a suggestion to check out this post...
http://www.ocellated.com/2009/03/18/pim ... t-outlook/

the post talks about adding the gmail keyboard shortcuts to Outlook.

In the comments I asked the author how I would have the key "y" run the ClearContex FileMessage. The answer is in a response.

-Rgds,
Alex
alexa

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support