The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Toolbar (Topic Assignment) Not Available

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Toolbar (Topic Assignment) Not Available

Postby tomjedrz » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:31 am

I can no longer access the toolbar that has the topic assignment selector and the File buttons, either in the Inbox or when viewing a single message. There is no toolbar available in the Toolbar selection. I tried the editor fix; it is locked out by the administrator (set to Rich Text). I could not re-add the COM add-in. Nothing was in the Disabled Items on Help/About.

- What version of Microsoft Windows are you running?
--> Windows XP, SP2

- What version of Microsoft Outlook are you running? (OL2K users indicate whether in Corporate or Internet Only mode).
--> Outlook 2003

- What type of mail account(s) are you accessing (i.e. POP, IMAP, Exchange, HTTP, etc.)?
--> MS Exchange 2003

- What, if any, additional Outlook Add-in's or Rules are installed?
--> Google Desktop Search - it worked for a couple of weeks after GDS installed.
--> Chapura (Treo 600 Synch)
--> Symantec AntiVirus, Corp Edition, version 9.0

- How do you reproduce the error?
--> I don't .. I can't eliminate it in order to reproduce it!

- What is the severity of the problem? (Fatal - unusable, Serious - workaround avail., Minor - superficial annoyance)
-->Serious bordering on fatal .. topic assignment and quick filing is one of the two primary reasons to use the program. [Priority and color coding is the other]
tomjedrz

A few more questions

Postby brad » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:57 am

Tom:

I have a few more questions for you:

1. Is prioritization still working? When you receive a new message is it being color-coded and ordered in the Inbox?

2. Is ClearContext still listed as an installed program? Go to Add/Remove Programs in your Control Panel and see if it's listed there.

3. When you go to COM ADD-INS, is ClearContext an option? When you say you could not re-add the COM add-in, are you indicating that ClearContext is listed, but when you put a check next to it it is not taking it?

4. Have you tried a complete restart of your computer since the error started?

5. Have you installed any new software or changed any of your computer's settings that may have caused this problem?

6. Please navigate to the following directory and verify that clearmail.dll is still located there: C:\Documents and Settings\{USER NAME}\Local Settings\Application Data\ClearContext\ClearContext Inbox Manager\, where {USER NAME} is the local user name that you use to log onto the computer.

Thanks in advance for your patience as we troubleshoot this problem.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby tomjedrz » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:19 am

I have a few more questions for you:

Answers inline

1. Is prioritization still working? When you receive a new message is it being color-coded and ordered in the Inbox?

Yes

2. Is ClearContext still listed as an installed program? Go to Add/Remove Programs in your Control Panel and see if it's listed there.

Yes

3. When you go to COM ADD-INS, is ClearContext an option? When you say you could not re-add the COM add-in, are you indicating that ClearContext is listed, but when you put a check next to it it is not taking it?

No, I do not see the CC add-in as available. Further, when I press ADD and navigate to clearmail.dll and add it, it doesn't take.

4. Have you tried a complete restart of your computer since the error started?

Several times.

5. Have you installed any new software or changed any of your computer's settings that may have caused this problem?

My computer is an IBM ThinkPad, and I use built-in configuration management to change the TCP/IP config from office wired GB to home wireless 802.11g. I have done this numerous times since installing CC. I noticed the problem last night at home. Nothing new installed.

6. Please navigate to the following directory and verify that clearmail.dll is still located there: C:\Documents and Settings\{USER NAME}\Local Settings\Application Data\ClearContext\ClearContext Inbox Manager\, where {USER NAME} is the local user name that you use to log onto the computer.

It is indeed there.

I am about to try the "repair" option from the Add or Remove Program entry for ClearContext. I'll let you know.
tomjedrz

Also try a complete re-install

Postby brad » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:43 am

If repair doesn't work, please try un-installing ClearContext, rebooting, then re-installing. Don't worry, you won't lose your ClearContext settings and you won't have to go through the full setup process.

Let me know the results - I'm continuing to investigate on my end.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby tomjedrz » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:43 am

I am about to try the "repair" option from the Add or Remove Program entry for ClearContext. I'll let you know.

That was pretty useless.

First, the repair would not work because it was looking for clearmail.msi in a temp folder.

Then I downloaded the installer, ran the install and selected the repair option, and got ..
"Could not open key:
HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{crazy number}. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel."

Then, I tried to run it as the local administrator, but then did not see the "repair" option.
tomjedrz

I just sent you an email

Postby brad » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:58 am

Let's work on this offline.
Brad Meador
brad

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support