The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Topic hierarchy

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Topic hierarchy

Postby mattcooling » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:11 am

Fantastic product! Two ideas that would make it even better...

I would much prefer to have my topics in a hierarchy, eg.

Inbox
- Customers
- - Cust1
- - Cust2
- - Cust3
- People
- - Jonh Smith
- Personal
- - Jokes
- - Money

I am aware that this is possible; however, I currently only have to type 'Cust1' in the topic to file it (and usually only the first two letters), whereas if I move to a hierarchical format I would have to type 'Customers\Cust1' - which gets very frustrating after a while. It would be much better if the autosearch facility in the topic bar searched *anywhere* in the topic, rather than just the start.

Secondly, it would be good if there was a quick way to *jump* to a topic folder; perhaps by having a text box on the tool bar (similar to the 'file to' text box), which when you type something into there searches the topics and then when return is pressed it opens that topic folder.

Thanks,

Matt
mattcooling

Postby brad » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:53 am

Thanks for the suggestions! Two comments:

1) Have you used the Topic selector? Press the Topic button next to the drop down or select Alt-P and start typing your Topic name. I think this does almost exactly what you are asking for? See our User Guide for more detail.

2) Jump to Topic is oft requested and will be included in a future release. Per our product plan, it's slated for v4.0.

Please let me know if I can provide additional assistance.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby mattcooling » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:28 am

Hi Brad

1) Have you used the Topic selector? Press the Topic button next to the drop down or select Alt-P and start typing your Topic name. I think this does almost exactly what you are asking for? See our User Guide for more detail.

As you say, this almost does what I'm asking. One little bug/feature - could you make it so that it always selects the top topic; at the moment it only does that if the string exists at the start of the topic. And it would be nice if this functionality was replicated in the text bar as well - although at least I've got a workaround for now.

2) Jump to Topic is oft requested and will be included in a future release. Per our product plan, it's slated for v4.0.

Excellent - if I buy now will I need to buy again to get v4.0?

Matt
mattcooling

Postby brad » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:53 am

Your first request is harder that it looks at first blush. In the near term, just hit the arrow down key to select the top topic.

I don't have any dates to publish yet, but v4 is quite a ways off. When we do release it, you'll be able to purchase an upgrade license for less than the price of the full package.

Regards.
Brad Meador
brad

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support