The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Uninstall Failed (Again!)

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Uninstall Failed (Again!)

Postby ebyrne » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:54 am

Honestly, wtf kinda program can't uninstall itself when you go to pay for a fucking upgrade?? Are you kidding?

Having got that out of the way, I was considering upgrading, and when going to install the upgrade it attempts to uninstall the previous version, but complains the installer is not available (since it was downloaded to a temporary IE folder when I initially installed it, which I would imagine is quite common).

Fine, shit happens. So I'm frustrated, but find this page: http://www.clearcontext.com/resources/remove_ims.html

Following instructions for 4.6.6 (which via ClearContext->About is my version), I start the script and getting to step 3, I got to uninstall via add/remove, point it to this .msi installer, and same fucking error.

So, reading more carefully, it seems that if that doesn't work, you want me to repeat for all previous versions. (Yes, I had an earlier version installed - upgraded for fixes for some other bugs you had incidentally.) You've got to be kidding right? You expect me to go through this 20 times without further explanation of which versions to try?

Please advise. If I don't hear back today, there's no chance I'm upgrading. (Not an ultimatum, just the reality of already wasting an hr on a tool that's supposed to save time but was of marginal value before due to all it's bugs. (Though I will admit some of the functionality is definitely useful if you can just clean the plugin up.))
ebyrne

Re: Uninstall Failed (Again!)

Postby ebyrne » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:46 am

Just for other unfortunate users that encounter this: Since I didn't receive a response, I started going down the list of each version and eventually one of them uninstalled. (Hopefully you don't have one of the few versions that are broken links on that page.)

This is honestly one of the more disappointing experiences I've encountered with any product. I was paying to upgrade just in the hopes some of the bugs were fixed since I found the product useful despite it's bugs. Clearly though, a productivity product that not only slows down my client but serves up crap like this and wastes a morning is just poorly designed.

Here's hoping one day CC gets a quality control department and I can return...
ebyrne

Postby ClearContext Support » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:59 am

Sorry you had trouble with the uninstall. Unfortunately there are cases where the Windows install DB can become corrupted - usually due to changing user rights/UAC settings after install and/or using one of many third party "clean-up" utilities that actually do more harm than good.

For anyone else who stumbles across this issue - I suspect that going through each link was unnecessary. Even when the MSI uninstaller fails, following the bolded instructions in step #5 usually does the trick:

This includes running the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility (msicuu2.exe) when instructed.

Sorry again to hear that you had so much trouble with the process.

I was paying to upgrade just in the hopes some of the bugs were fixed since I found the product useful despite it's bugs.

If you give us a chance, I'm sure we can help with these issues. Please let me know how I can help troubleshoot.
ClearContext Support

Postby ebyrne » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:29 am

Just wanted to post a follow up given how completely I panned the product previously.

Clear Context did contact me later that day, and while it hardly mitigates the frustration of not being able to uninstall a product (and yes, I ran the MS cleanup util several times), once it was uninstalled, the reinstall went smoothly. (And a test uninstall.)

I'm happy to report that the performance issues I mentioned seem to have been addressed, and so far I'm quite pleased with the new version. (Much cleaner than before, the new filing features pick the appropriate folder 90% of the time, defer/filing defaults now remember your preferences, multiple folder/computer support, etc. all well implemented so far.)

Kudos ClearContext, a few more months without issue (and perhaps a test uninstall), and I'd be happy to recommend the product..
ebyrne

Postby ClearContext Support » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Thanks for the update. Please let us know if we can provide additional assistance.
ClearContext Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support