The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Upgrading from Outlook 2002/CC 4.03 to Outlook 2007/CC V5

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Re: Upgrading from Outlook 2002/CC 4.03 to Outlook 2007/CC V5

Postby rcollings » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:32 am

I can see that being really useful.

Thanks for your patient answers.
Richard
London, UK
CC V6.0.1+ Outlook 2010 + Windows 7 + POP3
rcollings

Postby rcollings » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:01 am

Hmmm - trying to do a trial run upgrade and have some questions.

First of all I installed CC V5 into a pretty well empty Outlook 2007

It transpires that there are two pst formats - one for 2002 and earlier and one for 2003 and later. 2007 works with both but I decided to convert to 2003 format by importing one of my 2002 files - the one that contains my inbox ( but not my ClearContext folders which are in a separate .pst file which I have yet to import). The Inbox still contains a lot of low priority emails that I have yet to file (they are normally hidden by my views and most have Topics/Projects assigned by my Auto Assign rules) plus more imporant emails which also have yet to filed but which also typically have Topics/Projects.

I had some issues with the import - it seemed to run OK and completed but then Outlook went away and started doing a lot of disc processing and eventually it stopped responding. So I killed it off. Fortunately, when I restarted, the imported file was there. I will probably run ScanPST against it when I get a moment. However, I am wondering in retrospect whether it might be better to import my files first and then install CC V5.

However, my main questions are as follows.

Firstly, the imported emails are not showing any Project Assignments - I am assuming/hoping these will appear when I import the second .pst file that has my Clear Context folders (and point CC at these folders).

Secondly and more importantly, I have suddenly realised that I am probably going to lose my priorities in the upgrade process. Is this right? If so, I am in trouble because I need to be able to filter out all those emails which had low priorities in my old system.

If so, is there anyway that I can get ClearContext to assign its new priorities to my inbox based on my existing Contacts as this would probably be OK. However, what I don't want is for CC to create new Contacts for all my low priority emails because I want these to remain as low priority.

Help
Richard
London, UK
rcollings

Postby ClearContext Support » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:05 pm

Firstly, the imported emails are not showing any Project Assignments - I am assuming/hoping these will appear when I import the second .pst file that has my Clear Context folders (and point CC at these folders).

The Microsoft Outlook import process does NOT import ClearContext's hidden data. Rather than import, you should allow Outlook to upgrade your primary mail file. The easiest way to do this is to replace the default Outlook PST file created in the new profile with your original PST file.

Secondly and more importantly, I have suddenly realised that I am probably going to lose my priorities in the upgrade process. Is this right? If so, I am in trouble because I need to be able to filter out all those emails which had low priorities in my old system.

If so, is there anyway that I can get ClearContext to assign its new priorities to my inbox based on my existing Contacts as this would probably be OK. However, what I don't want is for CC to create new Contacts for all my low priority emails because I want these to remain as low priority.

Priorities are handled differently in v5 vs v4. When you upgrade ClearContext maps v4 High and Very High priorities to our new VIP category. Please note, however, that there is no longer a concept of a low priority contact. Contacts are either important or not and prioritized accordingly. For more detail, review this post. To sum up, Contacts marked important on the contact record will have a category of CC VIP added to it and marked in red. All other contacts in your address book will have a category of CC OK and marked in green. Contacts that do not exist in your address book will have not priority category associated with them.
ClearContext Support

Postby rcollings » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:41 pm

Hi - thanks for the prompt reply

The Microsoft Outlook import process does NOT import ClearContext's hidden data. Rather than import, you should allow Outlook to upgrade your primary mail file. The easiest way to do this is to replace the default Outlook PST file created in the new profile with your original PST file.

Ah ha! When you say 'allow Outlook to upgrade the primary mail file', as I understand it doesn't actually do anything to the file because it remains backwards compatible with Outlook 2002. But I will try this

Priorities are handled differently in v5 vs v4. When you upgrade ClearContext maps v4 High and Very High priorities to our new VIP category. Please note, however, that there is no longer a concept of a low priority contact.

What happens to messages that have V4 priority of Normal? I would very much like for these to be allocated the Important (Green) priority in V5. Is there anyway of doing this?

One thought: are the CC V4 custom fields accessible to the View designer in Outlook 2007? If so, then I can probably create my own custom views based on a mixture of the old custom fields (for the migrated messages) and the new categories (for newly received messages).

Thanks again for your help
Richard
London, UK
rcollings

Postby ClearContext Support » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:37 pm

All incoming messages from senders in your address book get a priority category. Messages from contacts in your address book are marked CC OK (green) unless the contact record has been marked important. In the latter case messages from these contacts are marked CC VIP (red).

In addition to the blog post in my last post, you should read the user guide on prioritization as well.
ClearContext Support

Postby rcollings » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:31 pm

Ok - just opening the existing Outlook 2002 pst file in Outlook 2007 seems to have worked partially - my V4 topics are now appearing as V5 projects. (I simply renamed the existing 2007 Outlook.pst file to something else and then copied in my 2002 Outlook.pst file to replace it)

However, the existing emails do not seem to have acquired V5 priorities (categories) based on the mappings you describe here:
When you upgrade ClearContext maps v4 High and Very High priorities to our new VIP category

In fact none of the existing emails have acquired categories - either priority categories or project categories. Do I need to do something to force this. Or is something broken? Or have I misunderstood.

What is good though is that all my existing 2002/V4 views have come over (but I seem to have lost the native views)

I am going to mull over what I have found and think about the next steps. Perhaps the best option is to switch all new mail to a new Inbox and to create some new custom views there. I presume that existing Project assignments for existing threads in the old Inbox will continue to be visible to Clear Context and will be used to assign Projects for new emails that arrive.
Richard
London, UK
rcollings

Postby ClearContext Support » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:43 pm

In fact none of the existing emails have acquired categories - either priority categories or project categories. Do I need to do something to force this. Or is something broken? Or have I misunderstood.

Because you ran ClearContext setup against a blank mail file prior to bringing over your regular mail file, your Inbox was not scored with the new priority system. The correct priority assignments should be reflected on new messages as you receive them.

To force a rescore of the Inbox, go to ClearContext > Options, change the value of both of the priority categories (i.e. from CC VIP to VIP and CC OK to OK) and allow ClearContext to rescore. Make sure to change these values back to your original settings if you want to take advantage of v5's color-coded views.

I am going to mull over what I have found and think about the next steps. Perhaps the best option is to switch all new mail to a new Inbox and to create some new custom views there. I presume that existing Project assignments for existing threads in the old Inbox will continue to be visible to Clear Context and will be used to assign Projects for new emails that arrive.

Conversation project assignments are stored in a hidden table in your primary Inbox. If you do the above, these values will not be carried over. While you will probably still see the project listed in your view, the project assignment will not be reflected in the filing buttons or in newly received messages from existing conversations.
ClearContext Support

Postby rcollings » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:35 am

Because you ran ClearContext setup against a blank mail file prior to bringing over your regular mail file, your Inbox was not scored with the new priority system. The correct priority assignments should be reflected on new messages as you receive them.

To force a rescore of the Inbox, go to ClearContext > Options, change the value of both of the priority categories (i.e. from CC VIP to VIP and CC OK to OK) and allow ClearContext to rescore. Make sure to change these values back to your original settings if you want to take advantage of v5's color-coded views.

When CC does the scoring (in either case: either on install or when you adjust the priority categories), does it also create contacts for each email that it finds where there isn't already a contact. If so, is there any way to stop this happening because I defintely don't want to create contacts for all those newsletter emails that I receive - because I want them to remain at low/no priority

Conversation project assignments are stored in a hidden table in your primary Inbox. If you do the above, these values will not be carried over. While you will probably still see the project listed in your view, the project assignment will not be reflected in the filing buttons or in newly received messages from existing conversations.

Ah ha - interesting - I had always wondered where CC stored this information. Does this mean that I can never upgrade to the new .pst format because to do this, I need to do an import from the current .pst file which means that I would lose my project/conversation assignment table?

Aside: the above is a good example of the sort of thing that I think is missing from the documentation - had I known about the way the prioritisation worked and where the table was stored I would have done my set up in a different order and not tried to do an import. And I spent a fair amount of time looking for a way of forcing a reprioritisation. If its in the manual, I couldn't find it. Generally feeling quite frustrated at the opaque nature of Clear Context - I know that you don't want to frighten people off by making it look complicated - but as I have said before, you will have techies evaluating the product for corporate use and this is the sort of information they will be looking for. I certainly feel that I have wasted my time (and yours too) because of finding out stuff that should have been documented I do like Clear Context (at least in its old form) but I have found this upgrade process frustrating because of the lack of technical information.
Richard
London, UK
rcollings

Postby ClearContext Support » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:46 pm

When CC does the scoring (in either case: either on install or when you adjust the priority categories), does it also create contacts for each email that it finds where there isn't already a contact. If so, is there any way to stop this happening because I defintely don't want to create contacts for all those newsletter emails that I receive - because I want them to remain at low/no priority

It creates contacts for each high priority email it finds that doesn't have a contact record.

Ah ha - interesting - I had always wondered where CC stored this information. Does this mean that I can never upgrade to the new .pst format because to do this, I need to do an import from the current .pst file which means that I would lose my project/conversation assignment table?

There is not a way to upgrade to the 2003 version of the PST file without losing hidden ClearContext data.

Aside: the above is a good example of the sort of thing that I think is missing from the documentation - had I known about the way the prioritisation worked and where the table was stored I would have done my set up in a different order and not tried to do an import. And I spent a fair amount of time looking for a way of forcing a reprioritisation. If its in the manual, I couldn't find it. Generally feeling quite frustrated at the opaque nature of Clear Context - I know that you don't want to frighten people off by making it look complicated - but as I have said before, you will have techies evaluating the product for corporate use and this is the sort of information they will be looking for. I certainly feel that I have wasted my time (and yours too) because of finding out stuff that should have been documented I do like Clear Context (at least in its old form) but I have found this upgrade process frustrating because of the lack of technical information.

Thanks for the feedback and sorry for the frustration. Though we don't explicitly state all of the above details, we do say this in our FAQ (emphasis mine):

How do I transfer my ClearContext settings to a new PC?

If you are moving to a new machine, follow the instructions in this batch file to back up and transfer your AutoAssign rules and your user database (stats and project suggestions). The project list is automatically populated from the folders in your mail file. Assuming you are transferring your mail file to the new machine, no further configuration is necessary to transfer your projects to the new setup.

Please let me know if I can provide additional assistance.
ClearContext Support

Postby rcollings » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:57 am

It creates contacts for each high priority email it finds that doesn't have a contact record.

How does it determine what is a high priority email when it runs forthe first time (when you install CC V5)?

There is not a way to upgrade to the 2003 version of the PST file without losing hidden ClearContext data.
This is quite worrying as it means I will be stuck with an older and more restrictive format indefinitely (which presumably MS will not support indefinitely)

Thanks for the feedback and sorry for the frustration. Though we don't explicitly state all of the above details, we do say this in our FAQ (emphasis mine):

But this only covers part of what I was doing (moving to a new machine), I was also upgrading both Outlook (which is why I tried to convert my pst to the new format) and to V5 (had I known that V5 would convert my V4 priorities to V5 priorities, then I would have transferred my mail file before installing CC rather than the other way round) so I do feel quite strongly that there were some significant gaps in the published documentation.

That said, I am making progress on setting up a view which shows both V4 and V5 high priority messages which is one of my main requirements
Richard
London, UK
rcollings

Postby ClearContext Support » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:03 am

How does it determine what is a high priority email when it runs forthe first time (when you install CC V5)?

During setup CC identifies your most important senders by analyzing your email history. The algorithm is based on messages received, replies sent and recency. Then a % of the top contacts are marked important. If they don't exist in your address book we add one.
ClearContext Support

Postby rcollings » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:04 pm

Having been posting what has seemed like a constant stream of complaints and problems, I thought I should post a little bit of good news (and a thank you)...

The good news is that I think I am getting close to having a workable setup on 2007/CC V5 - there are things that have gone from V4 that I would very much to see back in V5.1 onwards but overall what I have now is liveable with with the very significant bonus that everything is very much faster.

It is a measure of how much I depended on CC V4 that I was prepared to put up with the very, very slow startups and downloads so its very good to see things back to an acceptable level of performance again.

And I seem to be able to duplicate most of the view filtering that I had in V5 - although in some cases, I have had to drop into SQL to do this.

So thank you for your patience and help.

Looking forward to seeing what is in V5.1
Richard
London, UK
rcollings

Postby ClearContext Support » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:51 pm

Thanks for the update. I'm pleased to hear that you noticed the performance improvement. As we mentioned in the prioritization post you commented on, performance is one of the main reasons that we made some of the more significant changes to the way the system works.
ClearContext Support

Previous

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support