The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Upgrading from Outlook 2002/CC 4.03 to Outlook 2007/CC V5

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Upgrading from Outlook 2002/CC 4.03 to Outlook 2007/CC V5

Postby rcollings » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:28 am

I am shortly about to move to a new machine with Office 2007 and will want to move my existing Outlook 2002/CC 4.0.3 set up to the current version of CC.

Can you guide me through the steps that I will need to take (or point me at the relevant resources which explain how to do this).

Thanks

Richard
Richard
London, UK
CC V6.0.1+ Outlook 2010 + Windows 7 + POP3
rcollings

Re: Upgrading from Outlook 2002/CC 4.03 to Outlook 2007/CC V5

Postby ClearContext Support » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:36 pm

There's information on moving to a new machine posted in our FAQ.

Good luck!
ClearContext Support

Postby rcollings » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:07 pm

Ok - thanks - that covers moving to a new machine whilst staying on the same version of Outlook and ClearContext. In my case, I am going to be also upgrading both pieces of software

My plan is to do the following
  • install CC V5 on the new machine (which has Outlook 2007 already installed)
  • copy my .pst files to the new machine with the new version of Outlook
  • open/convert my '.pst files on the new machine (not sure what happens when I do this - I presume Outlook converts them)
  • point CC V5 at the CC folders in the relevant .pst file
  • move my Auto Assign rules over as per your FAQ

Is this the right order?

My question is this - will this bring my CC topic assignments over - including those in my Inbox that I have yet to file.

I know that CC has changed the way in which topics work but I haven't really been following what's been going on.
Richard
London, UK
rcollings

Postby Scott - CC Support » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:22 pm

That sounds like the correct order. I expect it to maintain your topic/project assignments.

After the upgrade, see this post for information on configuring v5 to work more like v4.
Scott - CC Support

Postby rcollings » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:42 pm

Thanks for that link.

I am concerned about the scale of change from V4 to V5 - where can I get a good overview of this. For example, I have a deeply nested folder/topic structure in CC V4 which typically has what I call a 'Project' as a set of top level topics/folders which lots of topic folders under each 'Project' (my term, not yours). For example:
10 Clients/<client name>/<project name>/30 Stage 4 [JCDB-S4]/90 Stage Management/10 Progress reports

It seems that Topics are now called Projects which, I have to say, doesn't work for me conceptually. However, of more concern, is whether V5 works practically with the sort of structure outlined above. Does it still support these deeply nested structures?

Thanks
Richard
London, UK
rcollings

Postby rcollings » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:43 am

Hmmm - have been doing a bit more research - looking at the user guide and the tutorial videos and I remain concerned and confused.

Firstly: has the term 'topic' now gone completely? And what was a 'topic' is now called a 'Project' ie: Project = Folder = Topic (as was)

Secondly, does CC support inheritance - eg if I do assign contacts to Projects I woudl do so at a much higher level in my folder/project hierarchy. If I am looking at Projects lower down in the hierarchy, will I still see these higher level assigments. And if I am looking at Projects higher in the hierarchy will I see lower level items.

I have a real sense that CC is moving in a direction that is designed to support simple folder structures and that it won't support my approach to folder creation (right or wrong). I reckon that I have about 600 folders that ClearContext current manages. For example, it would seem that if I want to see what folder a message is assigned in my inbox list, I have to now use Categories - which will add 600 categories to my category list!!!

My other concern that it seems that you are moving towards making CC a To Do list manager too (perhaps to the detriment of the email filing capability). I current used My Life Organised for managing my To Do list and I am unlikely to change so please don't neglect your filing capability which for me is the key feature of MLO (albeit very slow in the old version that I am currently using - which is my main reason for upgrading).
Richard
London, UK
rcollings

Postby Scott - CC Support » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:59 am

This blog post goes into additional detail about the upgrade.

Where Topics are concerned there is very little change other than semantics. We changed the name from Topic to Project to more closely map how people used Topics. Instead of writing the Topic name to a custom field (CC-TopicName) we write the Project name to the category field.

To answer your questions, when you upgrade:
  • Yes, the term Topic has been removed from the product in v5
  • Topic assignments are preserved as Projects
  • Nested/hierarchical Projects work the same way in v5 as they do in v4

I have a real sense that CC is moving in a direction that is designed to support simple folder structures and that it won't support my approach to folder creation (right or wrong). I reckon that I have about 600 folders that ClearContext current manages. For example, it would seem that if I want to see what folder a message is assigned in my inbox list, I have to now use Categories - which will add 600 categories to my category list!!!

There are no changes that impact your ability to continue to manage large numbers of folders like you do in v4. In fact, the new project selector interface should make it easier to perform this function. FYI - using the default settings in 2007 categories are not automatically added to the master category list. While you may have 600 projects, these Project names will not be displayed in your Master Category list unless you add them.

My other concern that it seems that you are moving towards making CC a To Do list manager too (perhaps to the detriment of the email filing capability). I current used My Life Organised for managing my To Do list and I am unlikely to change so please don't neglect your filing capability which for me is the key feature of MLO (albeit very slow in the old version that I am currently using - which is my main reason for upgrading).

A significant goal of v5 was to improve filing. See this post for a detailed description of the changes made to provide one-click filing and better folder suggestions.
Scott - CC Support

Postby rcollings » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:17 pm

Thanks for your detailed reply - feeling a little bit reassured!

A couple of points/questions in relation to your response
  • re using Master Categories - my understanding was that if you wanted to have a column in your inbox showing the Project assigments for the emails in your inbox, you had to choose the option to assign Projects to Categories
  • I don't really understand what the one click filing in V5 does that you can't do in V4. In V4, if a message has been assigned a topic either because it is part of a thread which has a topic or because it has been Auto Assigned, you just click the File Msg button and the email is filed. How does V5 improve on this?

I also have another question - if you are not assigning either the topic or priority to custom fields, this then means that customing the view is going to be more difficult/impossible. For example, can I set up a view which shows email messages which haven't got a topic and which do not have a higher priority. This is an important view for me in my current set up because it contains emails from people who I haven't dealt with before who may be potential customers (plus a stack of junk/subscribed emails that I have yet to set up Auto Assigments for). My normal working view filters out all the lower priority stuff (subscriptions and junk so that I can focus on my project related work).
Richard
London, UK
rcollings

Postby ClearContext Support » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:09 pm

re using Master Categories - my understanding was that if you wanted to have a column in your inbox showing the Project assigments for the emails in your inbox, you had to choose the option to assign Projects to Categories

This is correct, but Outlook's Master Category List - the choices you are given when you manually assign categories - is only populated with categories that you deliberately add. Automatically synchronized project categories do not show in this list.

I don't really understand what the one click filing in V5 does that you can't do in V4. In V4, if a message has been assigned a topic either because it is part of a thread which has a topic or because it has been Auto Assigned, you just click the File Msg button and the email is filed. How does V5 improve on this?

Even before you have assigned a project to the conversation, v5 puts a project suggestion in the button so that you can file in one-click. In v4 you always have to assign a project to the conversation first.

I also have another question - if you are not assigning either the topic or priority to custom fields, this then means that customing the view is going to be more difficult/impossible. For example, can I set up a view which shows email messages which haven't got a topic and which do not have a higher priority. This is an important view for me in my current set up because it contains emails from people who I haven't dealt with before who may be potential customers (plus a stack of junk/subscribed emails that I have yet to set up Auto Assigments for). My normal working view filters out all the lower priority stuff (subscriptions and junk so that I can focus on my project related work).

Filter for messages without categories assigned to them to approximate the view described above (i.e. no priority and no project assignment).
ClearContext Support

Postby rcollings » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:18 am

This is correct, but Outlook's Master Category List - the choices you are given when you manually assign categories - is only populated with categories that you deliberately add. Automatically synchronized project categories do not show in this list.

Ah ha. What are the disadvantages then of setting the switch that automatically assigns Projects to Categories (I presume there are some otherwise why make it an option and why switch it off by default0

Even before you have assigned a project to the conversation, v5 puts a project suggestion in the button so that you can file in one-click. In v4 you always have to assign a project to the conversation first.

Ok. How does it do this then!

Filter for messages without categories assigned to them to approximate the view described above (i.e. no priority and no project assignment).

Ok but you have to switch on the auto assignment of projects to categories for this work? And I presume from what you say that the project suggestion for a particular email is not actually assigned until you choose to do this?
Richard
London, UK
rcollings

Postby Scott - CC Support » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:42 pm

Ah ha. What are the disadvantages then of setting the switch that automatically assigns Projects to Categories (I presume there are some otherwise why make it an option and why switch it off by default

It's ON by default in v5. Some people use categories for other reasons and don't want to mix data types.

Ok. How does it do this then!

Details in the link above.

Ok but you have to switch on the auto assignment of projects to categories for this work? And I presume from what you say that the project suggestion for a particular email is not actually assigned until you choose to do this

Yes and yes.
Scott - CC Support

Postby rcollings » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:45 pm

Ok. How does it do this then! (Make suggestions that is)

Details in the link above

I had read that posting but it doesn't (as far as I can see) answer the question I was trying to ask - namely how does V5, when it gets an email from an address that is not in the contact list and which does not belong to a thread which already has a "Project", decide which Project to suggest. ie: what rules will it use to choose which of my 600 Projects to suggest?

Or have I misundestood how CC works here?
Richard
London, UK
rcollings

Postby Scott - CC Support » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:41 pm

In cases where there is no history with a given contact, ClearContext suggests folders based on your past filing history; taking into account both most recently used and frequency of filing.
Scott - CC Support

Postby rcollings » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:59 am

Ah ha. I had wondered whether you had some clever parsing of the subject/message going on in order to suggest possible folders.

Sorry - another question - if you receive an email from an existing contact with a new subject, what rules does CC use to make a project suggestion in that circumstance? Apologies if this has been covered somewhere but I don't recollect seeing an answer to this.
Richard
London, UK
rcollings

Postby ClearContext Support » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:33 pm

Suggestions are based on past filing history of messages from that contact, taking both recency and frequency into account.
ClearContext Support

Next

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support