The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Using NMs for SharePoint emails

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Using NMs for SharePoint emails

Postby thatdamngoood » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:52 am

Hi - We use SharePoint for some of our operational day-to-day bug tracking etc and I get alerted everytime anything changes. This is clutters my mailbox - which is easy enough to clean (notwithstanding the 15 mins I spend on it daily) but I have been feeling that there must be a way to use CC NMs capabilities to automate some of it.

Everytime an item's status changes, I get sent an email with the 'new' status notes put in by the person (developer etc). The status could be - New, In Progress and Completed.

The subject of such an email is always the title of the item like 'Problem in xxx page on xxx site', with status in the body of the email.

I currently use a bunch of AutoAssign rules to look for emails from SharePoint and then look for the word 'Completed' (in the body) to assign it a lower priority. This colour codes all completed items (& previous items in the thread) in Gray and I can simply delete/file the entire thread - knowing they have been done and focus instead on New items (or follow up on In Progress) - which can be quite cumbersome and my Inbox is pretty big at the best of times.

I was wondering if there was a way to do this by using NMs ? So, I'd have a notification manager called (say) 'SharePoint' items, with categories - New, In Progress and Completed - the problem(s) I see here is that since I get multiple emails, with the same subject (albeit with different statuses in the body), I'd loose the ability to delete (or marks as read etc) the thread + the same email might show in New, In Progress and Completed - all at the same time.

Any thoughts ? Best practices ? An extra 15mins each day would be so so nice.

Cheers,
Nitin Malhotra
thatdamngoood

Re: Using NMs for SharePoint emails

Postby ClearContext Support » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:53 pm

This is exactly the kind of situation we had in mind when we built out the notification manager functionality. For details on creating your own, see our User Guide.

I don't have a best recommendation for dealing with items with the same subject, but different status. However, you should be able to port a ClearContext threaded view to your notification manager folder and sort the box by thread, allowing you to more easily see which items have been completed and mark previous items with that subject as read.
ClearContext Support

Postby thatdamngoood » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:11 am

ClearContext Support wrote:you should be able to port a ClearContext threaded view to your notification manager folder and sort the box by thread

I hear you, however, the only way this seems different from what I do right now is that it keeps the messages out of my Inbox (which is a big+ I understand and hence I use NMs quite extensively), however, not knowing how many are New or In Progress (or jumping to another folder to delete/mark as read etc) sounds a bit counter productive.

Guess there isn't any other way but perhaps you could look at this as a 'low' priority for some time later...

Cheers,
Nitin Malhotra
thatdamngoood

Postby Scott - CC Support » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:34 am

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion.
Scott - CC Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support