The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

ClearContext v2.0 Product Plan

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

ClearContext v2.0 Product Plan

Postby brad » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:41 pm

We've been getting increasingly excited about our future for ClearContext Inbox Manager. We posted in our blog some of the ideas that we've been working on and, based largely on user feedback, we have updated plans for our next major release (v2.0) and beyond. As we have said before, we want to keep our product plans closely aligned with user needs, so we are posting them here for your review and feedback to ensure that we build the best product possible.

We’ve broken this information into a few sections – v2.0, Incremental Features, Future Functionality, & Additional Products:

ClearContext v2.0
The next major release of ClearContext will transform the application from an inbox manager to a fully featured email productivity tool. The major new functionality in this release will accommodate many user requests, including some key features that we believe will further our goal of becoming the silver bullet of Outlook productivity and management.

New Functionality – Email Workflow Processing
Convert to task – create task items from email messages
Convert to a calendar entry
Defer or “Snoozeâ€￾ a message – messages moved out of inbox for specified period
Unified view of related items (email thread, tasks, calendar entries)
Response Management – auto-notification based on reply status

User Interface/Usability
New View – “Received Byâ€￾ with color-coding and threading
Installed Views – additional downloadable views packaged with installation
AutoAssign functionality integrated with Outlook Rules
Import/Export of ClearContext Settings

Performance Enhancements/Bug Fixes
Prioritization Optimization
Domain Resolution for Exchange Users
Advanced error handling
Topic DDLB UI Enhancement

Incremental Features

These are additional features under development that we plan to release soon after version 2.0 goes out the door.

Multiple machine support – “Master/Slaveâ€￾ mode
ClearContext functionality in other folders
Topic/Priority sharing in groups
Advanced AutoAssign Rule Management UI
Advanced Reply Management
- Change in priority after reply
- Thread expiration / “unsubscribeâ€￾ on reply
Topic DDLB Enhancements – Better UI for management of large folder hierarchies

Future Features

These are mainly large new areas of functionality that we will be tackling in future major releases of the software and primarily focus on increased automation of message processing. We have not definitively prioritized these features and encourage discussion/feedback on which of these areas you feel are most important to address.

IMAP Support
Message Content Analysis for Message Function
- AutoAssign Topic, Priority
- Suggest What to Do With Message (Convert to Contact, Create Task)
- Adaptive Learning / A.I.
Automated Attachment Processing (documents, photos, etc.)

Additional Products
These are a few more product ideas we have in our longer-term plans. This list has not changed since our last update. Which of these we focus on will be largely based on user demand.

Corporate/ Exchange Server Integration – Port core Inbox Manager functionality (prioritization, scoring, topics, etc.) to Exchange Server for application on both individual email accounts and on emails/threads across the organization.

Mobile Extension – Port core Inbox Manager functionality to mobile devices to allow functionality such as downloading of only high-priority messages.

Vertical Customization – Job-specific customizations for fields such as Sales, Financial Services, Project Management, etc.

Again, user feedback can and does help us refine our product plans, so if you think we should re-align our priorities, we absolutely want to hear it. You can post feedback here in the forums. on the weblog, or send us a note at support ( at ) clearcontext. com. We will update the plan and provide more concrete timeframes as we integrate your feedback and continue product development.
Last edited by brad on Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby naorm » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:27 pm

Hi,

took me a while to have find time to comment - first i'm happy with the direction - really hard for me to imagine using outlook without it.

The new functionalities are alsmost all things i'm waiting to have, I think the "snooze" feature is very important - although most of the methodologies of handling mail recommend to take immidiate actions (do something, delete or delegate) in real life, there lots of things that simply needs to wait ;) - maybe not good practice - but reality - so this feature will help, at least me, to keep better control over the emails. I see the same importance in creating a "todo/task" item - while the rest of them are nice to have from my perspecive.

re the usuability features - i think the most important one is integrating with outlook rules - i've posted about it in the past - and i'm really waiting to see it working.

regarding the rest - the most important for me is having the the better UI for folders - for me this is a "soft" point of the product which i would love to see how you approach.

keep the great work.
naorm

TimeTable

Postby Spoelker » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:53 am

Brad:

Not to rush you or anything, but do you have a timetable in mind for version 2.0?

It's just that I need to control the "drool factor" when reading about the new functionality, particularly the - Unified view of related items. I seems to me that if I define the ClearContext item as project, then the related tasks,emails, etc assocaited with the item would provide a project overview framework for those objects in Outlook - a 'project-at-a-glance" if you will.

Keith Spoelker
Spoelker

Too soon to call

Postby brad » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:06 am

Honestly, Keith, I'm drooling at the prospect of some of these features as well. I believe you will find that the unified view will be very close to what you're envisioning.

We're still relatively early in the development cycle right now and don't have time frames available yet. Rest assured that we are working on this as rapidly as we possibly can and will announce more details on this forum and the blog when more information is available.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby shakti » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:08 pm

I was wondering if version 2 will be released any time soon. I'm considering buying GTD add-in but I don't plan to use all its features and the ones listed in version 2 sound appealing. I'd rather buy version 2 if it is reasonably priced.
shakti

Thanks for your interest

Postby brad » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:34 pm

We will be starting our Beta test of v2 within the month. We will formally release the product as soon as possible after that.

As for pricing, please see our weblog for more detail.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby bjburlingame » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:54 am

If you are considering GTD - then you will like alot of the new features in V2. I too thought about getting GTD, but the price was a bit too high for me. Then I saw Clear Context, and this product is definitely winning out for me. I find it is much easier to keep my inbox low and focused on what needs to be done. It is very easy to file the messages to the appropriate folders and now that it has the features to delegate, or create tasks or create appointment or follow-up on a sent message - this now has all the features I wanted.

Hope that helps.
bjburlingame

Postby brad » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:14 pm

We have updated the product plan here.
Brad Meador
brad

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support