The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Assign categories to followup tasks

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Assign categories to followup tasks

Postby georgefurnell » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:25 pm

Good day,

Is it possible to add a category to a follow-up task?

Regards
George
georgefurnell

Re: Assign categories to followup tasks

Postby ClearContext Support » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:44 am

You should be able to do so by pressing the Show Options button at the bottom of the followup screen. Note that what you enter will be remembered for the next time you create a followup, so you will want to check that setting if you intend to use different categories each time you create a followup.
ClearContext Support

Postby georgefurnell » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:23 pm

Thanks for the response.

My observations and feedback:
1. Being able to add the category is great however,
2. Having it as a text field rather than the usual dropdown or list of categories from Outlook makes it error prone and not as "slick",
3. The fact that it is being saved is also not desirable, I suggest that it defaults to blank or "uncategorized", similar to the way you handle assigning a project.

Your thoughts on this?

Regards
George
georgefurnell

Postby ClearContext Support » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:40 am

The ability to add categories in the followup window was originally designed in response to requests for the ability to add a single unchanging category to followup tasks so that they could easily be identified for those who organize their tasks by category. For example, one might want to always assign the category @followup to all followup tasks.

I will add to our enhancements list to consider the use case of different categories for every followup as well.
ClearContext Support

Postby georgefurnell » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:04 am

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation.

1. Using the categories in the “follow-up” (as per MYN) is to specify the context when you want to review it which may differ from follow-up to follow-up, hence the need to be able to EASILY and CORRECTLY change it. Hope this will make it to the top of the enhancement list.

2. I have now found that when you clear the field to blank, it does not get saved, and the last used value (not the blank) comes back for the next follow-up, surely this can’t be correct?

Regards
George
georgefurnell

Postby ClearContext Support » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:05 am

For the default value of the category field of the followup window to change, a followup has to actually be created with that value. So, if one were to clear that field, and cancel the followup, the default value would not be cleared.
ClearContext Support

Postby d_boo » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:57 am

ClearContext Support wrote:You should be able to do so by pressing the Show Options button at the bottom of the followup screen. Note that what you enter will be remembered for the next time you create a followup, so you will want to check that setting if you intend to use different categories each time you create a followup.

I understand that a category can be applied to a new task being auto-created while sending an email (as discussed in this thread). However, since I too use MYN and therefore file my emails with categories only (into a single "PROCESSED MAIL" folder) rather than using folders.

It is frustrating not to be able to also automatically categorize the actually email (the email that is auto-generating the Followup Task) and move to my processed mail folder. If I used folders, I realize I could assign a project to the email I'm sending and click "File Original Message"...but what I need is a button that assigns a category (or multiple as my sometimes is the case...and why I stick with categories to file my emails) and then moves the sent email to the "PROCESSED MAIL" folder. Does this functionality existing and I'm just missing it?
d_boo

Postby ClearContext Support » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:57 pm

For emails, ClearContext only has the concept of assigning a single Project. Regardless of filing to a separate folder or a single Processed folder, the email is marked with that Project in the category field and filed to the appropriate destination. Since the email management is single Project focused rather than category oriented, it doesn't sound like an exact fit with how you manage your emails.

If you do assign a single Project however, even in Processed Mail filing mode, the message being sent and/or the original message being replied can be assigned to the Project and filed automatically by having the "File this message" and/or "Original Message: File" options enabled, and by selecting a Project as the message is sent.
ClearContext Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support