The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

AutoAssign feature already exists in outlook

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

AutoAssign feature already exists in outlook

Postby freestyle » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:02 am

This is my first post.

I have spent the best part of the last 2 months researching outlook productivity add-ins.

There are only a few on the market that get mentioned a lot (THANKS TO BLOGGING !)

All are slightly different, and its a shame that one does not stand out from the others. However I was drawn back to Clearcontext because of the new features being talked about.

I use outlook 2003, and don't consider myself a power user. Infact I know little about how I should be using the features. However today I clicked on a button

Create Rule Its to the right hand side of the FIND and has a folder symbol

Make sure you have an email selected.........

What I saw was amazing. It basically was the AutoAssign feature but with every option you could possibly want.

The best bit is that it automatically picks up the email address, subject of the email you currently have selected (THE SAME AS AUTOASSIGN)

I know what your thinking, you cannot assign a TOPIC using rules. Well yes thats true, but you CAN assign a catergory. AND on the same rule choose whether to move the item, display an alert, play a sound or even run a script !

Can anyone tell me if I am missing something, why are clearcontext continuing to develop this part of their product if the feautre has already been exhausted ?

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to nock the product. But rather I have some very specific feature requests that I would like to see developed. And I personally cannot see the value in trying to enhance this part of the product.
freestyle

AutoAssign vs. Outlook Rules

Postby brad » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:30 am

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, you are correct, there is also a more extensive rules engine within Outlook. Our intent in developing AutoAssign was not to replicate all of this functionality. Rather, it was to support our product specific features such as topic assignment and assigning priority, and provide a simpler and easier to use interface for the most common rules scenarios. Ed Bott highlighted this in his review of our product (link here):

I had done some of this stuff with Outlook message rules, but the ClearContext Auto-Assign rules are much easier to create. Likewise, it's possible to file messages into Outlook folders, but this add-in makes it much easier.

In keeping true to that goal, significantly enhancing the rules capabilities of AutoAssign is not a high priority for us. Rather, as we stated in our product roadmap (link here), it is our intent to provide integration for ClearContext functionality within the native Outlook rules interface in the near future. We believe this will provide the best of both worlds – our AutoAssign interface for ease of use, and access to the Outlook rules engine for creating more complicated rules.

Finally, please note that using categories within Outlook rules is not quite the same as Topics in AutoAssign. Topics apply to entire message threads, rather than individual messages. When a Topic is assigned to a message, all email in that thread (or conversation) are assigned that Topic and, as new messages from a thread are received, Topics are automatically assigned to the new message. In addition, the File Msg/Thread/Topic functionality that we provide in our toolbar for quick manual filing will only work with messages that have been assigned Topics.

We appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to share your thoughts on our product with us. As you continue to work with ClearContext please do not hesitate to send us your feedback, feature requests, etc.. Input from our user base is the number one place that we look to for the future direction of the product.
Brad Meador
brad

ClearContext vs. Outlook Rules

Postby brad » Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:30 pm

FYI, we posted a more thorough comparison of Outlook capabilities and ClearContext here. I hope that your test of the product continues to go well. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Brad Meador
brad

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support