The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Where is the main dashboard?

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Where is the main dashboard?

Postby sjordi » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:39 am

Hi,
just upgraded from 5.0 to 5.1 and see a sidebar small dashboard, but how do I get the big one back?
The full screen sized one, where everything is visible globally?
Didn't find the option anywhere.
Thanks for any help.
Steve Jordi
Prangins, Switzerland
sjordi

Re: Where is the main dashboard?

Postby ClearContext Support » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:40 am

The full sized dashboard has been replaced by the sidebar.
ClearContext Support

Postby sjordi » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:44 am

Ouch ok then.
Looks like I will have to get back to 5.0 in that case.
Thanks anyway.
Steve Jordi
Prangins, Switzerland
sjordi

Postby ClearContext Support » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:51 am

With use I expect you to find the sidebar far superior to the Dashboard in v5.0.
ClearContext Support

Postby crisssy101 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:04 pm

Wow,
The main dashboard concept was why I was considering using this application. Now that you have removed it from your newest beta I really do not see why I would spend $90 bucks to buy a Xobni knock off... especially since Xobni is free.

You really should update your Youtube promo videos they are extremely misleading.
crisssy101

Postby Scott - CC Support » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:29 am

By placing project data in the main window, the sidebar better exposes the information you need to manage your day. It's clear from usage data, customer feedback, etc. that it is more useful on a daily basis than the full dashboard was. I invite you to give it a try for a few days before you dismiss it.
Scott - CC Support

Postby Djblois2 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:22 am

I do like the new sidebar better than the Old full screen dashboard. However, I think you have the opportunity to come up with an even better full screen dashboard. so we may have the best of both worlds.
Djblois2

Postby carl » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:40 pm

For me, the main use case for the stand-alone dashboard is dual monitors. I like to have plenty of space to see my message list and navigation pane, and squeezing the dashboard into that same window is just too much. With a stand-alone dashboard, I can keep it open on the other monitor and still have a full window for my Inbox. I also don't always want the distraction of having the Dashboard update and repaint every time I click through folders in the Outlook Navigation pane.

I did try Xobni for about a month and eventually uninstalled it for these same reasons. I'm sure you can demonstrate that there is some method to accomplish all of the critical tasks with the side-pane dashboard, but it's more of a personal preference. I have had the new dashboard available since installing the first 5.1 beta and have yet to use it once.

I think the other ClearContext features are great, and I plan to keep using the product. There are a lot of nice improvements in the 5.x releases. I just can't bring myself to use the new Dashboard. Just my two cents.

-Carl
carl

Postby brad » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:58 pm

Thanks for the additional feedback.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby deva » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:43 pm

Thanks to everyone for the comments re: the new vs old style dashboard. In our 5.2 release, we're only going to be making minor tweaks to address some usability things like flexibility of date entering, etc. However, we're evaluating all of the feedback and in future releases will be looking at ways to address some of the key areas people miss in the old dashboard by improving both the new sidebar and the larger format task organizer.
deva

Postby Theo » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:53 pm

PLEASE bring back the ability to view all emails for a project irrespective of where they sit (inbox or filed). This is the largest missing functionality of the new dashboard. The ability to then filter those by a category would be magic for me (and something I could easily do in the full screen version.

For me the new sidebar dash is great; but with this lack of email integration from the old dashboard makes it less use for me when I've got 100+ active projects on the go at any one time.

Any work around suggestions of how to get the one view of all emails (inbox and filed) back again?
Theo

Postby mmatl » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:01 pm

I'm not sure why everyone is begging for the old dashboard? The old dashboard had its limits. The new dashboard allows for an integrated view of tasks, appointments and emails for a project/topic in a way that the old dashboard didn't.

Also, the organizer has a lot of potential now... and with some additional filter/sorting features, will continue to be a strong tool.
mmatl

Postby carl » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:27 pm

Hi mmatl - I agree, the old dashboard definitely had its limits. I don't think anyone is asking for that as-is. I think we're really asking to have all of the new improvements with the ability to undock it into a separate window. It might be interesting to do a forum survey to see the preference split. My guess is there will be a decent population on both sides.

The organizer also has a lot of potential, but it really seems to have it's own unique purpose. It's geared towards weekly review and bulk task organization, not actually working on projects. (It has no messages, no contacts, no attachments, no project notes, etc.). I'm sure the development team could put some of the Dashboard elements in there, but they would seem out of place (IMHO).

-Carl
carl

Postby carl » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:41 pm

Theo wrote:Any work around suggestions of how to get the one view of all emails (inbox and filed) back again?

Just a few thoughts... If you have Outlook 2010 you may be able to get *some* of this functionality. If you enable View by "Date (Conversations)" and check the option to "Show Messages from Other Folders" you can see them. The big miss, however, is that you have to have at least one message from every conversation in the project folder. If the project is assigned for a given thread but all the thread's messages are still in the Inbox or in Sent Items, you'll miss them.

Another workaround might be to synchronize CC projects to categories (which I personally prefer not to do) and then use a search tool. In WDS and within OL2010, the "category:[project name]" syntax should work. You could keep multiple WDS windows open for each project. The downside is that it's a little bit awkward to have to type out the search syntax, and you have to remember the exact project name.

-Carl
carl

Postby Theo » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:43 am

@Carl - many thanks; interesting thoughts - but I think the time to do outweighs the benefits of just going to the 2 separate locations.

@mmatl - not begging, hoping to make the product even better :-)
Theo

Next

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support