The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Why don't ClearContext functions work in subfolders

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Why don't ClearContext functions work in subfolders

Postby EACutter » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:08 am

I have archives many messages in Outlook prior to trying ClearContext. On thing I find annoying is that the ClearContext functions work only in the Inbox, so I have to move messages to the inbox to assign a topic to them. Surprisingly, this is true even for messages stored in a ClearContext folder. For example, once I've assinged several messages to a topic, I cannot got to that topic folder and create an auto assign rule, seems like something I should be able to do.

On the AutoAssign rule, it is a bit cumbersome to add multiple e-mails to the rule. How about being able to select multiple messages and create an auto assign rule.

Eric
EACutter

Postby brad » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:12 am

Eric:

We do provide limited functionality in other folders. In particular, clicking AutoAssign on any message should bring up the AutoAssign dialog - is this not what you are seeing? If not, please send more detail about your environment (Windows and Outlook version? Exchange/Pop? Online/Offline, other add-ins used? etc.) so that I can troubleshoot in out labs.

We can't provide most ClearContext functionality for messages that haven't been processed by ClearContext at least once. All of our workflow functions (task, schedule, delegate. etc.) and topic assignment and filing functions require that a thread record be assigned to the message. We assign a thread record when an email is received. If you try to process messages received prior to using ClearContext, they will not have a thread record. You are correct that the way to force a thread record is to drag the message into the Inbox.

I am adding your request for AutoAssign to apply to multiple messages to our future features list. Thanks for the suggestion.
Brad Meador
brad

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support